• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Peter,

completed the usb dac and all is working fine, cant wait to get back to uni to try it out with my active x-over biamp gc set up,

A while back you mentioned that you had yet to optimise your computer for the dac,

Did you get anywhere with this, I can't see a great deal of options available really.

Regards

Dan

DDDAC

Hello All,

I'm reading this forum about the gainclone with intrest.
I also read that people are building DAC's here, well I also build one using the "same" components. My DAC uses 8 TDA 1543 [paralel] and the CS 8412. Also I use a clock to reclock the signal the clock is from TentLabs [www.tentlabs.nl]. The design of the DAC is from Doude Douma [http://www.dddac.de].

The DAC works on a battery so no dirt from the net :)

It's really a good DAC, great sonics en luts of detail.

I have enclosed a picture of the PCB

Kind regards,
Arjen de Boer
NoNo Cables

A picture of my DAC

Arjen

Attachments

• img_2829small.jpg
    img_2829small.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,476
I just built another kit by you Peter but am having trouble making it work with my SqueezeBox or something. I thought the problem was with the SqueezeBox but I am not sure now.

On my SqueezeBox I removed C16 and C20, then used some of inside wire of a mic cable to go from that to 4.7uf BlackGate N capacitors, then to some Dayton RCA's. There is the ground running from the Daytons to where the original ground was for the RCAs. It has noise now, like digital or something, it sounds like the music just enough that I can tell it is it before the DAC, but is not amplified by the DAC. I do know if I pull the unit out and play it while the positive leads are no where near anything, there is zero noise. I think shielded wire would be best for this modification.

My Gainclone is almost dead silent with no RCA's plugged into anything. I tried to Chassis ground it by running earth ground to chassis and got a lot of hum, so it has no real chassis ground. I just have the two Chassis grounds and transformer grounds running into the common on the AC jack. I also have a .1uf X2 Panasonic cap across the positive and common to prevent noise... Part of it might be the lack of proper ground, it may only be the ground strap operating, my house sucks.

If there is any connection I am not sure. The Gainclone seems to work great.

Balanced NOS DAC

HI peter i just want to make sure i am doing the right thing here, the output on pin26 from CS8412 (SDATA) goes to pin 9&13 on 74ACT86 (DOUT) then pin 11 DATA- and pin8 DATA+ from the 74ACT86 goes to pin 3 DATA on each TDA1543 to create balanced L & R channel. Is this correct?

Attachments

• cs8412 pin 26.jpg
    cs8412 pin 26.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,091
USB board

Hi peter
on your USB board there is BCK, DOUT and LCRK(WS) out from PCM2706
on your SPDIF DAC you have BCK,DATA and WS(LCRK) from the CS8412 chip. can i take the DOUT from PCM2706 and connect it directly to the SPDIF input on the old DAC and not worry about BCK and LCRK, or should i get a 9pin 3 pole toggle switch and switch after the input buffers ? i hope you understand the question

As it is configured on my board now, BCK, DOUT and WS form I2S interface which is the same output signal format for both PCM2706 receiver chip and CS8412 SPDIF receiver chip. The DOUT signal is not compaticble with SPDIF format so you cannot feed it back into BNC or RCA connector on your old DAC; a 3 pole switch is needed (assuming the grounds are connected permanently).

However, PCM2706 can also output SPDIF signal, providing the FSEL pin is high (pin 9 connected to VDD, it is permanently grounded on my board). In that case you could connect DOUT from pin 17 directly to DAC input.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2704.pdf

Thank you peter
so i can bring pin 9 high by getting 3.3v from pin 10 and then i can hook DOUT (17) directly to my SPDIF on my dac. That sounds easy would that compromise the sound quality in any way, since the signal would have to go through both Sn75179 and CS8412. With the switch that would be bypassed.

gainclone and buffer

i'm finishing up my first gainclone to use with an imod and fostex full range horn speakers. the speakers are efficient at 94 dB but the imod output voltage is low at 1Vrms so i was wondering if a buffer is needed. my listening area is large but i will not be playing music at very high levels.
i was hoping that someone with some experience could point me in the right direction. cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.