Headphones with gain clones? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 13th May 2015, 08:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Headphones with gain clones?

Any one have a simple schematic that would enable a headphone out from a GC?

I've seen some generic ones, but wondered if there was a tried and tested plan.

Many thanks in advance
Old 13th May 2015, 08:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Transformer's the simplest and potentially best sounding. I've tried and tested it
Old 13th May 2015, 08:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank, thats a good idea. I was looking at resistor networks.

The Cans I want to drive are a mere 25ohm, Denon ah-d2000. How would you avoid impedance matching issues, as that info is not given as standard with most transformers.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2015, 12:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I'd suggest winding your own on ferrite cores to get the best match to the particular phones you have. What's the Denon's sensitivity rating and is there a maximum recommended source impedance? Also what chipamp do you want to use them with? The important thing is the voltage swing the trafo's going to be exposed to. You might even find that the chipamp operates in pure classA when driving headphones via the trafo.
Old 14th May 2015, 03:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Gotten discouraged at the perceived complexity of winding your own trafos?

Here are two of my latest creations - for IEMs as part of a portable headphone amp I'm slowly building. They're using RM10 cores which are available from Mouser : rm10 Ferrite Cores & Accessories | Mouser There's a single primary on each designed to cope with up to 30V swings, four secondaries give a little bit of flexibility on impedances.

The tricky part is probably getting hold of the wire as Mouser's prices for magnet wire are eye-poppingly dear.
Attached Images
File Type: png headphone-trafos.png (453.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 18th May 2015, 06:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorienblack View Post
Any one have a simple schematic that would enable a headphone out from a GC?
I don't know about your particular headphones, but people connect headphones directly to the amp, without any additional modifications:

LM3875 as a headphone amp (another try)

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th May 2015, 07:41 PM   #7
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

dynamic headphones vary from 200 mV to 30Vrms to give 120 dB SPL - you have to know headphone sensitivity/efficiency and Z to make a reasonable amp choice

min gain >10 power audio chip amp is no use to the 130dB SPL re 1mW 16 ohm iem - the hiss would be obnoxious

they even deserve step down output xfmr with unity gain buffer

Last edited by jcx; 18th May 2015 at 07:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!