• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Headphones with gain clones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd suggest winding your own on ferrite cores to get the best match to the particular phones you have. What's the Denon's sensitivity rating and is there a maximum recommended source impedance? Also what chipamp do you want to use them with? The important thing is the voltage swing the trafo's going to be exposed to. You might even find that the chipamp operates in pure classA when driving headphones via the trafo.

Gotten discouraged at the perceived complexity of winding your own trafos?

Here are two of my latest creations - for IEMs as part of a portable headphone amp I'm slowly building. They're using RM10 cores which are available from Mouser : rm10 Ferrite Cores & Accessories | Mouser There's a single primary on each designed to cope with up to 30V swings, four secondaries give a little bit of flexibility on impedances.

The tricky part is probably getting hold of the wire as Mouser's prices for magnet wire are eye-poppingly dear.

Attachments

• headphone-trafos.png
    headphone-trafos.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 230
dynamic headphones vary from 200 mV to 30Vrms to give 120 dB SPL - you have to know headphone sensitivity/efficiency and Z to make a reasonable amp choice

min gain >10 power audio chip amp is no use to the 130dB SPL re 1mW 16 ohm iem - the hiss would be obnoxious

they even deserve step down output xfmr with unity gain buffer

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.