• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

LM3875 Premium Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Planning to order LM3875 Premium Kit..
The goal is to drive 4 Ohm speakers (95 db) crossed near 200 hz, so I need best sounding 200 to 20000 hz. Source is Dac (1,9 volts output), Musical Fidelity VDac 2 with diy power supply. So I hope source is free of DC !!
Transformers will 20/0/20 volts 160 Va (cause I have it) with two separate secondary winding.

Can you check this :
1 : remove R1 and use 27 Ko potentiometer at input
2 : snubber, add R1 R2 0,1 Ohm and C3 C4 3,3 nF, change C1 C2 for 10000 uF, I read that snubber provides more clear and detailled mid and hight frequencies ?
3 : add 220 pF between pin 7 and 8, cause I have some "noises" at home.
4 : for dual power supply I do order "MUR860-KIT-DM", right ? In the kit 16 MUR860 are included.

Thank's..
Phil

Think's,
You are right about LM3886..
But I'm confused when I read :
"I do the same test for 4ohm load (8 resistors in parallel) and initially we can see 56W power output with rails going down even further to 29.5V"
Page 36 of the LM3875 user guide from Audio Sector.
I don't understand that.
Phil.

Hi,

I built both LM3886 and LM3875, the latter sounded better though, both powered from same size transformer(26Vac). I actually referred LM3875. I used quality resistors on LM3875 though. Your speakers rated at 95dB you really don't need lots of power, 10-20 Watts/channel amp is plenty.

Hi,

It may not be suitable to drive 4 ohms, if you push the amp very hard like pushing it to max. power output, at normal listening level which your speakers should be around 1-10 watts range, at this operating range LM3875 is ok. This is what I would expect. Even at max power output, it will not go unstable, the worse scenario is the distortion will rise very rapidly. My LM3875 drives my speakers complex load(on some freq. range around 2-4ohms) quite easily and quite loud, my speakers has sensitivity of around 88dB

If you are concern, I suggest you may like to check this with Peter from Audio Sector. After selling this chip for so many years he must have very good knowledge, he might even have conducted tests at 2-4ohms load.

It may not be suitable to drive 4 ohms, if you push the amp very hard like pushing it to max. power output, at normal listening level which your speakers should be around 1-10 watts range, at this operating range LM3875 is ok. This is what I would expect. Even at max power output, it will not go unstable, the worse scenario is the distortion will rise very rapidly. My LM3875 drives my speakers complex load(on some freq. range around 2-4ohms) quite easily and quite loud, my speakers has sensitivity of around 88dB.

This is exactly how it works. I'v ealso heard from people who were successfully driving LM3875 into 2 ohm loads.

Hi,
Thank's for reply.
For my speakers and my taste, only 5 watts is needed.
Below impedance curve :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, it will work ?

Can you check this :
1 : remove R1 and use 27 Ko potentiometer at input
2 : snubber, add R1 R2 0,1 Ohm and C3 C4 3,3 nF, change C1 C2 for 10000 uF, I read that snubber provides more clear and detailled mid and hight frequencies ?
3 : add 220 pF between pin 7 and 8, cause I have some "noises" at home.
4 : for dual power supply I do order "MUR860-KIT-DM", right ? In the kit 16 MUR860 are included.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.