• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Total cost with duty fees, etc?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at getting one of the LM4780 kits and am wondering what the total cost will be to get it here in the US. The kit is $84.00 and shipping is $12.00, according to the AudioSector website. That totals to $96.00. What other costs can I expect, such as duty fees or any other costs, and how much? Just trying to avoid surprises.

I figured the best place to ask is from those that have ordered from Peter before.

THANKS! :D

I've purchased items from overseas in the past and have paid no Duty Fees. I've paid the sellers asking price, they've shipped the item. I received the item. Nothing more than that.
How would you pay the Duty fee? To whom? When? Where would your item be held pending payment of the 'Duty Fee'?
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

How would you pay the Duty fee?

Depends on what form of payment the shipping company accepts.

The shipping company, who in turn pay the government. Like when you pay sales tax in a retail store.

Upon delivery.

Where would your item be held pending payment of the 'Duty Fee'?

In the shipping company's possession.

From reading your post, you make it sound as if Duty Fees exist in name only and are never collected.

My experience from different side of the world, I always asked the seller to declare lower value, $50 is the maximum without additional customs fee here. Use regular air mail for the shipping. Never buy big heavy item, only small parts. I've purchased from europe,usa,japan with no additional fee.

You should try it, and good luck :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've purchased items from overseas in the past and have paid no Duty Fees. I've paid the sellers asking price, they've shipped the item. I received the item. Nothing more than that.
How would you pay the Duty fee? To whom? When? Where would your item be held pending payment of the 'Duty Fee'?
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Normally when you buy goods, your goverment wants an import duty. That is to protect the national market from overseas imports.
How much you would pay depends basically on two main points: the type of goods, and the declared value.

I don't know the US law but as an example, if I import electronics equipment from outside the European Union, the first € 100 (about $ 130) is free, if the item is more expensive (has a higher declared value) I pay 21% import duties over the whole amount including shipping.

I would expect the US law to be a bit more flexible, but I don't know all details.
Check the customs website for more info.

Normally the shipper pays the duty and charges you for it, plus sometimes a fee like $ 5 for otheir trouble.

BTW Declared value is the value the seller puts on the shipping paper. Sometimes they will declare *their* cost and not the sale price, which may be much lower, though strictly speaking that is not legal.

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.