• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

LM3875 (AudioSector) Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I ordered the regular kit from Mr. Daniels and I have recently soldered up the boards using Takman Rex resistors instead of the ones that came with the kit. Haven't the foggiest if they sound different or if I noticce the difference but the name sound cool and they look good :D

I ordered a 300va 2x22 shielded and encapsulated toroid for this application, I should receive it shortly, they had a 30 day delivery period for custom transformers.

I will make this a power amp only, since I have a DC B1 Mesmerize board waiting to be populated also. Pics to come.

Kenneth

Finally, I have received my chassis and custom toroid. I dry fitted it just now, and its a tight fit, but it will work just fine :)

Nice black chassis with oversized heatsinks from Silicon Ray. Only thing about it is that the mounting holes for the back plate is somewhat off, so I can only use three out of four screws, but otherwise fine. Looks cool.

The toroid itself ways just as much as my spare Denon amp, so the finished thing is going to be quite heavy.

I have som nice CNC connectors from hificollective, and the RCA's barely fit, they are actually a couple of mm's to short, but I managed to fasten them ok enough.

I'll post some pic's later when my 2 year old is n't runing around :)

Man, I can't wait to get this up and running. I started to get so inpatient that I almost ordered a finished Patek instead :) But that would contradict my intentions, so I am glad I didn't.

I finished the amp yesterday, and everything is awesome, except for a humming iin the left speaker, also if I turn the pot all the way up, there's a lot of hissing noise, Maybe it'll be more quiet with the B1 instead of just an Alps...

No pictures yet, I have to open up the chassis again, first. Also I need another pair of longer RCA plugs, because the ones I have (CMC from hificol) really doesn't fit. The chassis plate i stoo thick. Otherwise, this thing is awesome, especially for the price. Works wonders with my PSB Image B6. Clean, clear sound, articulate, deep punchy bass, smooth detailed mids and highs thats crispy without getting harsh.

Thanks to Peter Daniels for sharing and dealing :)

Ah, sorry. Maybe. The tronsformer is huge and its a tight fit in the case.

You follow instructions and avoided connecting to the top and bottom of the bolt through transformer correct?

Really low quality transformers might make extra noise. If you have the amplifier open and on you could possible hear it humming, if it is the transformer. (some are so bad you can hear it in the room, but I've never experienced one that bad myself)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.