• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

6 Channel Amp Wiring Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, it won't go bang.
The voltage sags more as current demand increases.
i.e. the voltage modulation on the supply rails gets worse.

Taken to the extreme is the Peter Daniel philosophy where he has virtually removed the smoothing capacitance from the PSU and relies on local decoupling to meet transient current demand.

Taken to the extreme is the Peter Daniel philosophy where he has virtually removed the smoothing capacitance from the PSU and relies on local decoupling to meet transient current demand.

You never give up, do you?

I'm not suggesting taking anything to the extreme, I just share what works for me. All my PS boards are designed in a such a way, that if somebody feels the need for more capacitance, it can be easily added.

However, powering 2x LM4780 chips from a single PS with only 2 x 1500uF caps is a bit extreme, and personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Install bigger caps as per picture below (the picture represents LM3875 PS board where diodes are reversed).

I also don't recommend lowering the gain to reduce hum from amp PS. If anything, I would suggest lowering the gain to reduce hum from source equipment.

Attachments

• b33.jpg
    b33.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Good to hear from you Peter.
This thread is about my amp build and general lack of experience, not AudioSector. I would be having issues no matter what kit I used, and I am generally surprised when any electronics I build work. I cant state this strongly enough.

The AudioSector Kits have worked flawlessly since day one, and any issues have all turned out to be my fault. Like it says in the thread title '6 Channel Amp wiring advice'

As a final note, I am learning allot and appreciate any input. For better or worse :)

Cheers
Dean

Hi Peter,
What is the power rating for those 2 resistors sitting on top of the Cap? Is 5 watt sufficient?
How about the value for 2 blue cap?
Thanks

You never give up, do you?

I'm not suggesting taking anything to the extreme, I just share what works for me. All my PS boards are designed in a such a way, that if somebody feels the need for more capacitance, it can be easily added.

However, powering 2x LM4780 chips from a single PS with only 2 x 1500uF caps is a bit extreme, and personally I wouldn't recommend it.

Install bigger caps as per picture below (the picture represents LM3875 PS board where diodes are reversed).

I also don't recommend lowering the gain to reduce hum from amp PS. If anything, I would suggest lowering the gain to reduce hum from source equipment.

Well, it looks like I may have finally found the problem and need to run 2xAMPS/1xPSU/1xTrafo setup.

The Caps will have to be mounted externally so size probably doesn't matter.

Can anybody recommend a 10,000 uF 50v Electrolytic Cap for AU$10-15 each.

I would love to spend more but have already spent too much on this project.

Cheers
Dean

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Dean, good to hear you have got to the bottom of the problem. I'm not sure I would trust caps from ebay. Partsconnexion have Nichicon KG's at reasonable prices Nichicon Capacitor Series KG Shipping would probably be a minimum of $18 for 8 and could potentially be double that. I've got some 35V nichicon KG's but not 50V so I'm not sure of the weight.

The nichicons from element14 should probably be fine. They have higher ripple current capacity than the KG's and the tan delta value is the same (If I remember correctly the lower the number for a given capacitance and voltage the lower the esr of the cap).

edit: the panasonics from element14 also seem ok from the ripple current point of view a bt lower than the element14 nichicons, but about the same as the KG's... they specify the dissipation factor, but I can't remember in what way it is related to esr and tan delta, so I can't make a comparison.

Tony.

Cheers Tony.

Looks like I will be spending around $80 - $100 for something decent so I will just have bight the bullet.

The good thing about Element14 is the free shipping and almost instant delivery. It always surprises me when the delivery guy is standing at the door the next morning.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.