• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Bridging parallel LM4780

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Peter

I am thinking of building a "BPA200" kind of amp via bridging 2 LM4780 chips and planning to get 2 of your LM4780 amp kits to do that. Since your kit can be set up in parallel mode (for one LM4780), all I have to do is using something to bridge 2 of them (correct me if I am wrong). After spending quite a lot of time searching this forum, I cannot seems to find any detailed information on this plan of mine.

By chance, I came across a post of yours mentioning that you have run bridged amps based on LM4780 using an Edcor transformer as the bridging tool. It is so much simper than using a BLD such as the DRV135/135. My question is would you have any info posted somewhere on how to construct this "BPA200" type amp? Partcularly, I have read that the DC offsets between chips can be a hassle to tackle. Also, being a Newbie, I need pointers on how to set up the PSU for the bridged amp. By the way, can one use SMPS instead of a linear PSU since SMPS's usually are regulated and have soft-started mechanism built-in.

Lastly, regarding the use of the Edcor transformer (WSM10K/10K) for bridging. Does it mean that the input impedance of the amp will then be 10K? If it is, is it a bit on the low side for a power amp? I plan to use this amp with my passive preamp which is a transformer-based volume control whose output impedance is 5-600 ohms, would it work? There is a WSM15K/15K transformer which also has a 1:1 turn ratio, can I use it instead to boast up the input impedance a bit? Also, there is another transformer in this series that has a turn ration of 1:1.2, can it be used to obtained a 20% gain (in voltage I presume).

Sorry for asking so many questions. Hope you can shed some light on my queries. Thank you so much in advance.

Lo-Tse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.