• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC

Here are the regulators. I'm using two separate 5V regs for receiver's analog and digital sections and 8.3V for the DAC chips. If using a single DAC chip (unbalanced topology) the current setting resistor should be 3R8.

Except for 3 highlighted locations all the parts are the same.

For best results, the parts choices are critical.

This shunt regulator was developed by Bobken.
Is this the same 5v, as you did on your shigaclone?

Dear peter.
For making your 5v regulator. Please can I ask for a part list?
After transformer. Is it 2*2200uf bg fk and 10uf bgn cap I need? Looking at your fine drawings I read it like this 2200uf-15r resistor(wattage?)-2200uf

I will use it for shigaclone 5v regulator/ hoping I will get further improvement

Peter,
I am going to try the SE version of this in my CD player using on board chip and I2s from SAA7210 chip fed directly to Tda1543. I can find all the parts except for the 482 resistor for the power supply. Is this the same MK132 as the others or is OK to change? Parts connexion and Percy do not have this value.

Peter, Sorry to be irritating, but if I go with Mills over Panasonic, I can save an extra order from Digikey for two resistors. I know you guys have stressed parts throughout, but it seems that even between the two of you, there is some difference in selction. All else being the same, willl the Mills resistor affect sonics in a ngeative way and have your guys tried them in the current setting postition?

My intentnion was to listen to SE version and if I like what I hear, move to the balanced version. In rereading the thread, I see that Bobken seems to suggest that he used different components on his SE version. I am assuming that the choices I am making accroding to your posted schematic will give me a good idea of the sound. Would you agree or do you think I need the 8416 to get a true sense. IT is a lot of money and I want to be judging a good representative of the proposed product. FYI, in using I2s from 7210 in CD player, I had planned on upgrading the PSU for that chip to try to minimize detrimental effects. THanks for pointing out the resistor for SE.

Just playing around, i used rn55 resistors to try this out with my CD player. I only changed the IV stage. You can tell it has potential. The music has a certain ease to it. I would call this analogue. I am looking forward to using actual components. I had the good fortune of getting nude Vishays for half price for the psu. I will stick with the Caddocks on the IV.

Hello Bob,

Long time no hear.

Nice to see you are getting such good results with my old shunt regulator design though I have moved it on considerably in performance over the last few years. It now has a much wider operating bandwidth, faster transient response and settling time, lower noise and lower output impedance over a much wider bandwidth.

Regards
Paul

Ric,

The AD811 will not operate with a 3v3 rail. This particular topology is also rather noisy if you were considering using it in your OPPO Sabre dac supply upgrades. The Sabre DACS are very sensitive to noise on the supplies. I only produced this 811 design commercially for a couple of years, as it was too noisy for sensitive power lines and I needed a product that could work down to 3v3. I developed the design topology further to reduce noise, extend the operating bandwidth out to 1 GHz and allow 3v3 operation.