Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 12th December 2012, 01:02 PM   #231
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
It is still possible to DIY one - the schematics are available, and the updated version is actually simpler than original. I can help with alternate parts choices (what to use instead of Black Gates etc.).
Hi,

I am also one of the DIYers who recently asked Peter for a DAC kit unlikely sold out.

I was able to built Peter's chipamp kit, but it was fundamental Peter's thread on gainclone instructions for beginners. Can you address me to a similar thread?

Thank you

Renato
Old 12th December 2012, 04:42 PM   #232
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer OS. View Post
If I understand this new build it is just under the premise that better power is the only thing the 1543 needs... Then some DC coupling output, correct?

Is the improved power about regulation, or noise rejection? I haven't been under the impression that power regulation improves sound as much as noise rejection, yet.
I cannot comment on the regulation vs noise issue, but I do know that Peter and Bobken went to great lengths optimising passive components in their latest DACs. By optimising I mean choosing the best sounding value, as well as choosing the best sounding brand/type, in each position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
Hi,

I am also one of the DIYers who recently asked Peter for a DAC kit unlikely sold out.

I was able to built Peter's chipamp kit, but it was fundamental Peter's thread on gainclone instructions for beginners. Can you address me to a similar thread?

Thank you

Renato
I'm afraid the NOS DAC is a bit more complex than a Gainclone... I mean it is simple for a DAC, especially if you use IC regulators, but there are still things to consider, like managing digital/analogue grounds, shielding, input isolation etc.
I mean, you could just solder it together on a protoboard as per Peter's schematic, and it would likely work fine - all I'm saying is that the range of trouble you could potentially run into is much broader than with a Gainclone... So I do not think there is a thread with instructions for beginners because without the kit, it is not really a project for beginners...
Old 12th December 2012, 04:52 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I'm afraid the NOS DAC is a bit more complex than a Gainclone... I mean it is simple for a DAC, especially if you use IC regulators, but there are still things to consider, like managing digital/analogue grounds, shielding, input isolation etc.
I mean, you could just solder it together on a protoboard as per Peter's schematic, and it would likely work fine - all I'm saying is that the range of trouble you could potentially run into is much broader than with a Gainclone... So I do not think there is a thread with instructions for beginners because without the kit, it is not really a project for beginners...
Thank you Uncle Leon. Let's wait, may be Peter changes idea and prepares a new batch of kits.

Renato
Old 12th December 2012, 09:40 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, great thread BTW. I'm thinking of connecting TDA1543 to my TE7022 USB-I2S converter. Do i need to change something? There are following pins at the converter: MCLK, LRCK, DATA, SCLK. How should i connect it to TDA input? DATA-DATA, MCLK-BCK and what with the other two?
Old 13th December 2012, 01:01 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

I am planning to use the balanced version (with 2 1543) to drive a balanced circlotron amp
Do I need matched 1543? how to match them?
Any advice on coupling caps / non coupling caps and volume control on a full balanced system?
Old 13th December 2012, 01:21 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
This is probably extreme heresy but I haven't yet found X7R ceramics to be a limitation on sound quality when used as couplers, so long as they're over-sized to mitigate against the voltage coefficient. Currently I have 6 paralleled 4u7 6.3V in 0603 size as output couplers for my DAC.
Old 13th December 2012, 06:38 PM   #237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
Thank you Uncle Leon. Let's wait, may be Peter changes idea and prepares a new batch of kits.

Renato
Here is the most basic NOS DAC circuit that you can attempt to build, that will still work (and likely sound reasonably good too). I took Peter's "classic" schematic and edited it to simplify it. I also incorporated some of the recent updates into it. Have a look and see if this is something you would feel confident attempting.

This simplified DAC should actually sound better than original - with the following reservations:
- the original NOS DAC used very high quality passive components (Black Gate, Riken, Caddock), some of which are no longer available.
- the IC regulators that Peter liked are also no longer produced, and somewhat hard to obtain, which means you may have to resort to LM78xx-type regulators (which will likely sound worse). Where simplicity is not that important, one could go with any of the new low-noise regulators, or buy/make a "super regulator" (such as the Bobken reg discussed here earlier).
- using different regulators could mean that the optimal values for their output caps are now different.
- your shielding arrangements, and wire routing choices will have some impact on the sound, and may sound a bit worse than Peter's PCB (although it may sound better too).
- the classic DAC uses a ferrite bead at the input if the regulator U3. I prefer the sound without it, but some people like it. It does (theoretically) make sense to install it if you use a single trafo, because it will limit "spreading the contaminations" in the power supply.

One could probably go even further with the simplification, and feed the regulators from the same PSU, but I think that would be going a bit too far in terms of sound quality compromise, and it would not simplify things that much (if you know how to build one diode bridge, then you certainly know how to build another).
Attached Images
File Type: png NOS DAC simplified.png (135.6 KB, 638 views)
Old 13th December 2012, 07:47 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is the most basic NOS DAC...
Thank you! Now I know how to spend Christmas holidays... at least studying the diagrams. I'll try.

Renato
Old 20th December 2012, 05:32 AM   #239
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
This post shows the most cost effective way to convert my original DAC into recently updated version. For even simpler approach, discreet regulators on receiver chip could be also omitted: Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 20th December 2012, 07:00 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter - just to clarify; do you mean that VD+, VA+ and M1 on the CS8412 chip can be fed by a single AN8005 regulator rather than two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
This post shows the most cost effective way to convert my original DAC into recently updated version. For even simpler approach, discreet regulators on receiver chip could be also omitted: Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC

Hide this!Advertise here!