Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 20th November 2012, 11:05 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer OS. View Post
Interesting. The build still looks intimidating because of the mounting distances etc. I sort of enjoy plug-n-play solder project kits though
In its basic form, it's one of the simplest audio projects ever, not much more complicated than a stereo Gainclone

You essentially have just:
- CS8412 IC and its power supply
- TDA1543 IC and its power supply
- 1 input resistor for CS, 3 output resistors for TDA, 2 output caps and 1 resistor+1cap for PLL filter. I think that's all.

The schematic only looks daunting because the power supplies are very sophisticated, but you could use a much simpler arrangement and still get very good sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Onw in the updated, balanced version. Nope. I have NIchicon KG mounted currently. Bypass caps are Vishay MKP 1837. Output caps are Auricap. Everything else as spec'd
Nichicon KG are certainly not the worst choice, but I would suggest trying 2x 2200uF Elna Starget in the TDA PSU. I think they are a bit clearer than Nichicons (of the Nichicon family, I liked FG series best overall). A similar arrangement would work for the CS PSU, but you could try a 1000uF Sanyo Os-Con instead of the second Starget, I think it works a bit better here.

If you are using Bobken regs, I would go for a 15-33uF Os-Con at the output, although you might prefer Starget in the TDA regulator.

Keep in mind, these are still not quite as good as the Black Gates - but very good nonetheless; the best I could find, at any rate. And you can of course wood-mod them, which will greatly enhance the sound.

For bypassing, I would simply go for the best film cap that meets your size / budget constraints, the same for output caps. Your current choices are ok for their price.

Also, it is not on the new schematic, but you could try installing a 10nF cap at the DAC input. With most caps, this will degrade dynamics and colour the sound; however the best ones might actually be an improvement. I'm talking Jupiter Beeswax / V-Cap / Duelund sort of quality (or my hand-made caps! ).
Old 21st November 2012, 01:52 AM   #222
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Cap choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Uncle leon. I hav eone 90% completed. What would you suggest for cap replacements?
I enjoyed Peter's usb dac for quite some time with the supplied BGs. In most situations I prefer BG sound to most everything. I got bitten by the tda1541a and for some time used Peter's dac as the USB to I2S converter. Effectively stealing the I2S from the PCM2706. It worked well. In my mania to perfect the new 1541a dac I borrowed the BGs from Peter's Dac. I replaced the 1000u BG std in C1,3 with pretty generic 16v 5800u caps (could be Panasonic) and replaced the BGN 1000u at C2,4 with OSCON SEP 16v 150u. Also changed supplied caps @ C12 and C8 with OSCON SEP 16v 150u.

I expected to kind of impair Peter's Dac with these 'inferior' caps. Big surprise. To my ear sound opened up. More bass better controlled and a bit of a veil removed across the board. Peter's Dac eventually migrated out of the picture and was replaced fully by the WaveIO as a USB to I2S converter. This is just in a different league altogether.

Point of this is there are cap choices that can work very well. I am guessing that the pcm2706 really mates well with the Oscon SEP and most anything in the first stage of the crc will suffice.
Old 21st November 2012, 05:49 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

The audio world is f***** without blackgates...

Hm, but what more do you need for USB?
Old 21st November 2012, 09:38 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer OS. View Post
The audio world is f***** without blackgates...

Hm, but what more do you need for USB?
If you use an USB/I2S interface like the one wlowes mentioned, you only need the TDA1543 chip + its PSU and output components.

@wlowes - which version of NOS DAC you were using? I have not heard any TDA1541-based DAC, that would match Peter's latest version for naturalness and raw energy, so I'm kinda curious what pushed you towards 1541?...
Old 22nd November 2012, 03:43 AM   #225
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
If you use an USB/I2S interface like the one wlowes mentioned, you only need the TDA1543 chip + its PSU and output components.
Right, to build a TDA1543 DAC mated to WaveIO. It would likely be a good combination. In my case I used for a while peter's kit minus the 1543 to supply I2S to the 1541a. Good but clearly inferior to WaveIO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_leon View Post
@wlowes - which version of NOS DAC you were using? I have not heard any TDA1541-based DAC, that would match Peter's latest version for naturalness and raw energy, so I'm kinda curious what pushed you towards 1541?...
I use a home built 1541a DAC. Basically nothing more than the chip with a Grundig style DEM circuit, smt organic polymer decoupling caps on the pins, followed by 2np2 tube buffer..russian PIO coupling caps. Power supplies well filtered with BGN and discrete low noise regs.
It is to my ear pretty good. I evolved in this direction prior to the revised approach to 1543 described by this thread. It may well be better than my 1541a. No question however, my 1541a driven by Peter's I2S segment was much better in naturalness than Peter's original....the WaveIO took it into another realm. I expect you and Peter have created something awesome, but I have no opportunity to compare as I have not built it. At this stage for me the 1541a mystique has grabbed me, and I am happy with the audio result.
I continue to watch this thread as I can imagine building this one day for an alternate experience.
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:02 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

The new version is really quite something, I heartily recommend trying it - especially that it is so brilliantly simple. But it was Peter and Bobken who developed it, I merely played around with different part substitutions within their schematic.
Old 28th November 2012, 01:29 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

last design, to what post are you referring it?

One other question, with the balanced version and using a balanced amp (a circlotron) any advice on how to achieve the volume control? a balanced double pot per channel?
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:30 PM   #228
Hierfi is offline Hierfi  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have one of those MUSE 1543x 4 DACS that uses the DIR9001 receiver chip. The specifications claim 50pSec jitter for the DIR9001 and 200pSec for the CS8412.

I am planning on building my own DAC and have read that NOS DAC's are less critical of jitter. Has anyone tried both receivers or know of any sonic differences in using either one?
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:05 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I listen to NOS DACs and so far I couldn't be sure I've heard any differences - have tried DIR9001, CS8414 and WM8805. I haven't found jitter to be an audible problem so far. There are guys over on HeadFi who say they prefer one receiver chip to another in Audio-gd's DACs.
Old 10th December 2012, 09:45 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

If I understand this new build it is just under the premise that better power is the only thing the 1543 needs... Then some DC coupling output, correct?

Is the improved power about regulation, or noise rejection? I haven't been under the impression that power regulation improves sound as much as noise rejection, yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!