Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 29th December 2011, 03:06 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

My intentnion was to listen to SE version and if I like what I hear, move to the balanced version. In rereading the thread, I see that Bobken seems to suggest that he used different components on his SE version. I am assuming that the choices I am making accroding to your posted schematic will give me a good idea of the sound. Would you agree or do you think I need the 8416 to get a true sense. IT is a lot of money and I want to be judging a good representative of the proposed product. FYI, in using I2s from 7210 in CD player, I had planned on upgrading the PSU for that chip to try to minimize detrimental effects. THanks for pointing out the resistor for SE.
Old 29th December 2011, 03:41 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Actually you may get better results without 8412 (we are not using 8416)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th December 2011, 03:50 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Sorry, too many numbers floating arounf in my head. BTW, I found your thread tapping trick in anoth thread and cannot thank you enough for the time and effort you have saved me with just that one suggestion. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 31st December 2011, 08:46 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Dear Peter
the switch AD811, is there a particular one?
Farnell have different: ad811Arz,ad811anz etc

happy newyear
Old 31st December 2011, 12:26 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Bobken,
In rereading the thread, you seem to suggest that you used different resistor types for your SE version. Cold you post those if this is true.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:56 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Bobken prefers nude Vishays, TX2575, in all locations.

As to AD811, I choose DIP version
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st December 2011, 09:29 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Just playing around, i used rn55 resistors to try this out with my CD player. I only changed the IV stage. You can tell it has potential. The music has a certain ease to it. I would call this analogue. I am looking forward to using actual components. I had the good fortune of getting nude Vishays for half price for the psu. I will stick with the Caddocks on the IV.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:22 PM   #158
maximus is offline maximus  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hello Bob,

Long time no hear.

Nice to see you are getting such good results with my old shunt regulator design though I have moved it on considerably in performance over the last few years. It now has a much wider operating bandwidth, faster transient response and settling time, lower noise and lower output impedance over a much wider bandwidth.

Regards
Paul
Old 10th January 2012, 05:54 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

bobken and Paul,
Can the shunt regulator be used at 3.3V.....and, if so, what values need changing? Can the 811 operate that low?
Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 10:29 AM   #160
maximus is offline maximus  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Ric,

The AD811 will not operate with a 3v3 rail. This particular topology is also rather noisy if you were considering using it in your OPPO Sabre dac supply upgrades. The Sabre DACS are very sensitive to noise on the supplies. I only produced this 811 design commercially for a couple of years, as it was too noisy for sensitive power lines and I needed a product that could work down to 3v3. I developed the design topology further to reduce noise, extend the operating bandwidth out to 1 GHz and allow 3v3 operation.

Hide this!Advertise here!