Pushing the limits of TDA1543 NOS DAC - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 6th September 2011, 04:13 PM   #131
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantwomey View Post
It would be interesting to see if Lundahl or Jensen had any transformers that would convert balanced to unbalanced without coloring the sound.

Regards,
Dan
Have you tried the Lundahl 1545a? I have two unused of those that I have not tried yet but will shortly if time allows me!
Old 20th September 2011, 11:47 AM   #132
Skorpio is offline Skorpio  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Very interesting thread!

Peter, I have one question. Looking at the new circuit, it still uses only a single resistor as I/V conversion. Looking at different threats here I know that you have earlier tried different active I/V circuits

...are you conclusions that a simple resistor is better?

...if so, is that better on all parameters?

...any related experinces?

At the moment I am very satisfied with my passive version, but having considered building an active I/V stage I got interested in you evaluation!

Old 22nd September 2011, 01:05 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, it uses single resistor at the output and I'm not tempted to change things here.

We were experimenting with adding a simple Boberly buffer and it was effecting transparency. In a past I also tried Rudolf Broertjes I/V stage, and again, went back to single resistor. As they say, if it's not broken, why fixing it?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th September 2011, 01:31 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Peter,
Would you be willing to share some info on your umbilical cables. I am considering using a similar system to tie the FE's from the BA amps to the output stage, keeping the FE in a seperate enclosure without any PS
Old 28th September 2011, 01:56 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Those cables are not made by me. I wrote more about them here: The Phono Stage
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 5th October 2011, 03:37 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Quite by accident I came across pictures of this system today, while browsing local audiophile club meetings: New Page 2
This is the older setup, from last October. You can still see there the TVC line stage I've built for him. The most recent picture in attachment. It's sort of a spy pic, that's why the quality isn't to my usual standards

This is the system when we (me, Marlen and George from Audio Oasis) do all the critical listening comparisons. While all technical aspects of the design come from me, those two other guys always contribute to the final voicing of the device.
BTW, That system, with the DAC, was recently used at TAVES and this is what they just wrote about it: Blueberry Hill Audio Rhapsody 3D | Stereophile.com
Old 11th November 2011, 01:44 PM   #137
Skorpio is offline Skorpio  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, it uses single resistor at the output and I'm not tempted to change things here.

We were experimenting with adding a simple Boberly buffer and it was effecting transparency. In a past I also tried Rudolf Broertjes I/V stage, and again, went back to single resistor. As they say, if it's not broken, why fixing it?
How about the "sin(x)/x" filter for correction the HF-response, have you tried it?
Old 11th November 2011, 03:17 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

FYI... Mouser now has BSP129's in stock again, if you wanted to try the 'Pushing the Limits' regulator.

Greg in Mississippi
Old 11th November 2011, 03:29 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpio View Post
How about the "sin(x)/x" filter for correction the HF-response, have you tried it?
Subjectively, HF response seems to be perfectly fine, so we didn't try any additional filtering.
Old 27th November 2011, 10:46 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And what do I use? My main DAC does not feature such fancy enclosure, I actually tried to avoid enclosure completely and ended up with a board mounted to a piece of spruce block with two small panels to secure connectors and another one on top, holding everything together. I quite like it this way. We compared fully enclosed DAC to this one, and didn't observe any major differences.
Dear Peter. What is the cost of this object. I can see it's build with esoteric components some really difficult to come by. Can it be purchased like this from you?

Hide this!Advertise here!