The CD Transport - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 31st January 2010, 07:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default The CD Transport

It's been a quite some time since I opened a thread on building an affordable CD Transport: Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

The majority of the most useful info is scattered now in this long thread so here I will post instruction how I build my units, which became quite successful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (196.2 KB, 9867 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (192.1 KB, 9193 views)
File Type: jpg Transports.jpg (184.7 KB, 8983 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st January 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I start with a copper plate bottom, size 5.8 x 8 x 3/16". The wooden frame (Wenge) is 6.4 x 8.8 x 1.5". There are 6 screws attaching plate to a frame and 3 spikes acting as feet.

I cut out the display opening later, after top acrylic plate is trimmed. There's also an RCA socket and opening for an umbilical cable in a rear panel.

There are 2 pairs of standoffs (1" long) mounted to a plate: two 3/8 are for mechanism support, the other two for buttons pcb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (174.9 KB, 8662 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (192.8 KB, 8073 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (120.7 KB, 1136 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (127.3 KB, 1049 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (198.5 KB, 1272 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (178.6 KB, 1251 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 31st January 2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 31st January 2010, 08:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I modify the original display board next: it's trimmed, and what (needed) traces have been cut, they are now replaced with hookup wire. Unnecessary components in top layer are also removed. I also trim plastic display board housing. It can be removed by taking out 2 screws and desoldering IR receiver, LED and display pins.

There are 5 connection points to the switches:

2 common for all buttons
S stop
P play
B back skip
F forward skip

The buttons are spread 0.7" apart. The display is attached to wooden frame with a single, isolated head, screw. There is additional TOC switch mounted on a side (normally closed type).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (198.8 KB, 1678 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (182.4 KB, 1539 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (193.3 KB, 1548 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (177.6 KB, 1721 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (166.4 KB, 1603 views)

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 31st January 2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 31st January 2010, 08:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is the current mods I perform on mechanism:

I remove the choke and caps C916, C952
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (89.4 KB, 1403 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (116.0 KB, 895 views)
Old 31st January 2010, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I also remove ceramic bypasses for those two electrolytics, altogether 5 parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (121.9 KB, 1121 views)
File Type: jpg 44.jpg (97.6 KB, 975 views)
File Type: jpg 55.jpg (127.5 KB, 974 views)
Old 31st January 2010, 08:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The schematic show external PS. Two wires from PS are connected to the pads where choke was. Since BG FK is hard to find these days, I use BG STD with BG N 4.7uF bypass.

I add two output resistors: 300/100 Dale (you may also consider S102/Caddock) and in place of C916 I instal BG N, either 47/50 or 33/16 depending on availability.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66.jpg (19.5 KB, 2977 views)
File Type: jpg 77.jpg (161.9 KB, 2450 views)
File Type: jpg 88.jpg (193.8 KB, 1987 views)
File Type: jpg 99.jpg (176.7 KB, 1691 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (159.3 KB, 1735 views)
File Type: jpg 00.jpg (191.0 KB, 1870 views)

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 31st January 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 31st January 2010, 09:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I mount the mechanism, power supply and wire everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (193.1 KB, 1705 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (189.0 KB, 1715 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (193.1 KB, 1914 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (199.2 KB, 1629 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (196.4 KB, 1779 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (196.6 KB, 1724 views)
Old 31st January 2010, 09:36 PM   #8
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Thank you Peter.

Like so many threads here it is the nature for the truly useful stuff such as construction guidance to get lost within a morass of comment and questioning. Then someone new joins the thread and repetition is added!

That you have chosen a topic out of your many contributions which has the lowest commercial return for you is noted and admired!
Old 31st January 2010, 09:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I just follow my signature: “Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.”

Getting back to the transport, the last thing is a top panel. I was initially using 1/4" acrylic, but after I tried thin metal top, I though that 1/8 acrylic would be nicer. Most common choice is clear frosted type, as it's easiest to maintain, but recently I was tempted to go with darker color and tried tinted acrylic. The shiny finish is quite impressive, but any fingerprints show right away, so I hand brushed it with quite good results. The look is similar to brushed, anodized aluminum.

I cut out the laser opening first and align it over the wooden frame, then figure out where 4 mounting holes should be placed. After attaching slightly larger panel on top, I trim the sides with a router.

The buttons are 0.314" dia. and I got them years ago surplus. When I run out, I will be making them out of aluminum rod.

I was initially using a bit more complicated front panel which was made out of aluminum with acrylic insert, but later figured out that simple piece of tinted acrylic fits here much nicer and is way easier to make (3.25 thickness). It's also clear enough to provide good visibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (190.6 KB, 1727 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (181.6 KB, 1732 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (192.1 KB, 2016 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (195.8 KB, 1968 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (50.9 KB, 2094 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (159.1 KB, 2027 views)

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 31st January 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 31st January 2010, 10:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That concludes the commercial version of a transport, which performs very well based on comments I'm receiving from end users.

Recently, I was experimenting with clocked output and the idea is certainly worth pursuing.

While checking some of the Lampizator ideas: Suggestions please: Improving motor CEC (Mabuchi) I had a chance to compare the clocked output of CEC TL0 vs a simple resistive divider output. In the end the clocked output appeared to be better and for some time I was thinking on trying it with Shigaclone. The guys on Audiostereo Forum made more experiments already, but nothing so far has been documented well: Robimy shigaraki transport / CD Flatfish - Do It Yourself - Forum Audio - Audiostereo.pl

So let's start from the beginning.

Attached is original CEC TL0 clocked output schematic and pics of the boards. "The master oscillator (a crystal which looks like Citizen) controls not the transport mechanism but the output stage, a flip-flop chip that could be considered a 1-bit FIFO. The output data thus have the maximum timing precision, which is where it is needed. The mechanical drive is slaved to the output stage".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (84.6 KB, 3231 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.1 KB, 1910 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (35.5 KB, 1166 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.7 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (87.1 KB, 999 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!