The CD Transport - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 8th March 2010, 02:54 PM   #41
Netdewt is offline Netdewt  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there a non-aesthetic reason for the power supply being in a separate case?
Old 8th March 2010, 05:13 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
No reason really, you can put everything into one case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDP.jpg (191.8 KB, 2640 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th March 2010, 10:47 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Ok, if I want a 2-box solution: How far can I go away with the 7808?
Old 9th March 2010, 11:06 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

I don't see a reason not to place 7808 with the transport.

External PS box should only contain rectifiers and transformer.

An umbilical cable that came with my CEC TL0 is at least 6ft long.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th March 2010, 09:25 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Default Does this transport have easy access to I2S?

if this has been answered, forgive me.

I see you have the DAC next to the transport which makes me think this could be an easy implementation of the mysterious I2S.

What do you think?
Old 10th March 2010, 09:27 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

There is no possibility for I2S output, but that let not worry you, I2S is overrated
Old 10th March 2010, 09:39 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Default No surprise

there is usually nothing so desirable as that which is not readily available.

And when it inevitably becomes widely available everyone wonders what the big deal was.

Of couse, I am one of the worst offenders of this phenomenon borne of wanting something different as much as warnting something better.

Thanks for the answer.

Bye,

PS which output are you using AES/EBU or RCA? My inclination is to replace the RCA with a BNC, just as much because my digital cable is BNC, courtesty of Chris Sommovigo/STEREOVOX.

Rick McInnis
Old 10th March 2010, 09:55 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default On second thought ...

with processor and transport inches away from each other why bother with connctors at all?

It would seem best just to solder an appropriate pair of wires direct?
Old 11th March 2010, 01:04 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

That's actually what I did in assembly in post #42

As to digital interconnect, I'm using Belkin Synapse. I learned about it from goodsoundclub.com forum and this is what Romy says about the cable:

"Belkin in 90s produced a line of audio cables: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum. Yes, it was Belkin - the company that does cheap computer stuff. Among all this cables there was Platinum Synopsis (cost $24) - an ugly blue 75Ohn digital cable. This cable sonically is much more interesting then any other S/PDIF cables, at least that I have tried, and it was quite a large number of cables tried for a person who claims to be a normal.

In 2002 Belkin introduced a new revision of the Platinum Synopsis Digital - it was black cable with molded terminator - that Platinum Synopsis was bad sounding cable. In end of the 2002 I spoke with Belkin and they informed me that the old Blue cable is not longer in production and there were only 200 of them left in their inventory. Soon those cables were gone and nowadays it is impossible to found a record of the Blue Platinum Synopsis Digital (#F8C310-03-PLT) when you talk with Belkin support people.

The sonic magnificence of the cable was discovered by a NY friend of mine why purely accidentally used his computer cable in his DAC and was surprised by the result. When I tried it I sold immodestly my digital cables and never even tried anything else since then (I had Dominus Digital at that time). BTW, at that time I bought other Belkin Platinum Series cables - they turned out to be nothing special"

It's my current reference and I don't think I'll ever switch to anything else either
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sinopsis_1.jpg (92.6 KB, 2490 views)
File Type: jpg Synapse0.jpg (85.4 KB, 2164 views)
File Type: jpg synapse1.jpg (12.6 KB, 2042 views)
Old 13th March 2010, 01:33 PM   #50
Netdewt is offline Netdewt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
It doesn't need to be SC, you can use any other transformer. For instance: Digi-Key - 470-1003-ND (Manufacturer - S22083)
What was this part for? I don't see it in the summary at the beginning of the thread. Thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!