• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

LM4870 Noob mess up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a situation that i'm trying to resolve.. I messed up the diodes on my rectifiers by only half reading the intructions.. Anyway they went in back to front.

Peter said that it is possible to reverse polarity and use it as normal... However I have already tried to remove the first 8 from one rectifier with little success. I ended up snapping the pins off a few MUR's.

My question is.. Would it be possible to use the one rectifier I have with diodes in wrong way, to power both amp modules.

This is my first project and I have only myself to blame for errors, but I would like to know if I can make it work.... More chance of the wife letting me do project 2 ;).

Is the goal to remove and re-install the diodes in the correct orientation or are you just interested in not damaging the PCB? The clearance of the leads into the holes has a big effect on how successful you will be extracting the parts without damaging them or the board. Personally, I would cut the leads off the diodes and unsolder / extract the pins and then install new diodes. I know it's a pain getting more parts but getting new boards is usually much worse.

The (un)soldering tool has a big impact of how you might proceed. A cheapy not temperature controlled iron is most likely to damage the board and have insufficient heat to get the holes cleared. A decent temperature controlled iron (and not some piece of junk with a dial and a readout) improves your odds. A premo iron like a Metcal makes it almost easy - certainly for me. Still, if the hole / wire clearance is very small it _will_ be difficult and the best bet is to just clip them out and use new ones.

I have both Amp sections completed. Gonna be after xmas before I get transformer so no more rushing!

Couple of questions I would like to ask...

Do I need to fill the zobel spaces with anything or does amp work without putting anything there?

Where do I connect my volume control?

I have got input and output sockets, would I be better testing before fitting these or wont it make a difference?

I know you guys can knock these kits together in no time, but its my first time with a soldering iron, let alone a kit like this.

Next bit... I understand that the LM4780 cannot be grounded to chassis. I guess this also means my heatsink cannot touch the ground too.

If I build a wood case do I just run a ground from my mains earth wire to a point and connect other grounds.

I was gonna go with aluminium case, but I think wood will be better for first go.

Some pins are not connected (NC in a picture), and those are not really need to be soldered. But make sure that all the other are soldered.

Attachments

• 4780PackagePins1f.jpg
    4780PackagePins1f.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 332
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.