LM4870 Noob mess up - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 10th February 2010, 06:38 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

I think I am using a 1.6A with my 22v 300va. It has been in there for a number of years now. That may suggest it is over rated for my setup. Cricklewood Electronics have everything you will need.

Cricklewood Electronics - CCTV. CCTV Equipment. CCTV Systems. Digital CCTV Cameras

You will see others say you need a soft start, you may be better to keep your options simple to start with.

John
Old 11th February 2010, 06:24 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

This is the LED i intend to use on rectifier board... I have a nice Optic fibre kit that will let me put a blue power light on the front panel.

Can anybody help with what resistor it will need. Transformer is 300VA 2x22v. Dont wanna solder one in to have it blow on me.

http://www.vcclite.com/Customized/Up...VAOL-3GWY4.pdf
Old 11th February 2010, 06:27 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Here you are: LED calculator for single LEDs
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th February 2010, 06:35 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

So im doing 22v, 3.3v and 30mA.. or do I add the 2x22v and use 44v as voltage... I know i'm a pain, it'll all be over soon.
Old 11th February 2010, 06:47 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Transformer is rated in AC volts, after rectification you can expect approx 32V DC per rail and that's what you use for calculations. This is what you get:

If you find diode too bright, you can further increase resistance (and that's what I always do). I'm using 64k resistor with a small Panasonic red LED.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg led1.jpg (24.8 KB, 168 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 11th February 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11th February 2010, 06:51 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Thank you
Old 11th February 2010, 06:52 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I adjusted the current for 20mA per datasheet.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:44 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to captainobvious
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
This is the LED i intend to use on rectifier board... I have a nice Optic fibre kit that will let me put a blue power light on the front panel.

Can anybody help with what resistor it will need. Transformer is 300VA 2x22v. Dont wanna solder one in to have it blow on me.

http://www.vcclite.com/Customized/Up...VAOL-3GWY4.pdf
The larger size resistor you use, the dimmer the LED will be. They can be extremely bright so when I'm building guitar pedals, I usually start around 1K-2K and work my way up until it looks about right. Since you are dealing with much different voltage in these power supply boards, you should start with Peters recommendation of 62K and adjust from there. A lower value (say 50K) will make it brighter, a higher value (say 80K) will make it dimmer.

Last edited by captainobvious; 11th February 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12th February 2010, 04:27 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

I have some single solid core wire i have been using in breadboard... Will this be thick enough to use for the dc power from rectifier to amp?

I am currently stripping the rubber from an old pc psu to cover the silver signal wire.. I'm using 0.60mm silver plated copper for the input and outputs, but stripping the rubber is killing me. I know you can buy it, but i'm an unemployed guy so money is tight.

Managed to get some samples of plastic bolts, nuts and washers for fixing amp chip to heatsink so i dont need to worry about shorting it. That said I have no intention of turning it on until i have tested everything at least twice.

Wire info... Overall diameter is 1.2mm, rated at 1.8A, 1kV
Old 13th February 2010, 03:28 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Yes, it should be fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!