The Phono Stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 20th September 2009, 05:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default The Phono Stage

I'd like to present here a complete phono stage project. It's been greatly inspired by the original phono cube and if you are interested in the specs, they would be similar (not mentioning the schematic).

In my approach however, I'm using much better parts and much better power supplies. I also wanted to be able to fit everything in a simple 2x3 aluminum tubing enclosure, having the PS integrated with the preamp.

The end result is the phono stage that can compete with basically anything out there, it is so good.

Looking at the board, you may notice that it is same form factor as my both DACs, the size is 2.75 x 8.75"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phono1.jpg (192.3 KB, 9316 views)
File Type: jpg Phono2.jpg (193.9 KB, 8778 views)
File Type: jpg Phono3.jpg (176.4 KB, 8398 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th September 2009, 05:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The PS is +/-15V shunt type. It produces quite a lot of heat, and since I wanted to fit it inside aluminum tubing, I had to figure out a smart way for heatsinking. I managed to do that with special brackets that are attach to power devices first and then are bolted from enclosure bottom after the board is inserted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracket.jpg (143.5 KB, 8027 views)
File Type: jpg Bracket1.jpg (185.8 KB, 7650 views)
File Type: jpg Bracket2.jpg (187.5 KB, 1802 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 20th September 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 20th September 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The board sits on standoffs that are easy to install from both ends. Additional angles are used to secure front and rear panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phono4.jpg (195.9 KB, 2078 views)
File Type: jpg Phono5.jpg (246.2 KB, 1767 views)
File Type: jpg Phono6.jpg (190.2 KB, 1689 views)
Old 20th September 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The complete unit is very simple, yet quite functional.

Phono section schematic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phono7.jpg (191.9 KB, 1829 views)
File Type: jpg Phono8.jpg (190.1 KB, 1445 views)
File Type: jpg Phono9.jpg (194.6 KB, 1333 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Phono_sch.pdf (85.9 KB, 2914 views)
Old 20th September 2009, 07:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Attached is the schematic of a shunt regulator. I tested few other discreet regulator types with this circuit, but the one in attachment worked best.

The regulator can be separated form phono stage through a scoring line. It features completely independent grounds for both sides and can be suitable for many other applications. Of course I will be offering it separately as well. BOM coming soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shunt regulator.pdf (155.7 KB, 2567 views)

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 20th September 2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 20th September 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Attached are BOM files for both circuits. They were compiled by one of the forum members who already got the boards. The actual cost and parts selection may still need adjustment, but for now, it gives some idea what's involved.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Phono BOM.pdf (6.9 KB, 2107 views)
File Type: pdf Power Supply BOM.pdf (8.4 KB, 1624 views)
Old 20th September 2009, 10:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The shunt regulator is based on a regulator posted in this link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ta#post1905843

I tried it after i was also testing other, similar regulator (as in attachment), as well ALWSR, and this regulator sounded substantially better. Now, that you mentioned it, I'll be curious to try it without a cap as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shunt reg1.jpg (21.8 KB, 3012 views)
Old 20th September 2009, 10:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Another observation: while single regulator shared between two channels sounds fine, going dual mono brings quite noticeable improvement. I was also testing phono stage and regulators separated by 4ft cord and didn't notice any particular degradation. In that case you will need C11/C12 and C4/C5. When all together, C11/C12 can be omitted.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looks good. Will you be offering it as a kit or a board only Peter?
Old 25th September 2009, 05:39 AM   #10
karma is offline karma  Canada
diyAudio Member

nice work peter if theirs a kit im there. all your other kits still sound great

Hide this!Advertise here!