• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Phono Stage

What an incredible setup. Obviously, I am in a disadvantaged position.... it is pointless for me to change anything. I shall go back to the copper signal wire, and repair the grounding.

I should spend some time making my setup look more like that setup. (A Technics Sp10 in a panzerholz/birch plinth is on the way, probably with the Benz Glider SL. Arm, as of now, is undecided.).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ground points

I have a similar problem in that as I turn up the volume I get more hum.

Presently I have the AC-IN and Turntable ground connected to a single ground- post on the chassis. I was wondering if I could connect the GND points I have coloured in red (see attachment photo) to the ground post mentioned above.

Also Peter mentions in Post 180:
You may try connecting wire from TT to the common PS ground at C4/C5.

Where in the heck is the common PS ground at C4/C5 on the PCB? Could someone spell it out for this dummy?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pcb-phono groundpoints.JPG
    pcb-phono groundpoints.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:
As to hum, it looks to me like the mains ground leg is tied to one of the mounting posts, which might, depending on the build, also connect to the chassis. If you have another ground point tied to the chassis elsewhere, you've undone any "star" like grounding AND created the possibility of current flowing in the chassis and hum deriving there.

Anyone have experience with this AND the HagTech Bugle using the same opamps in both? I am considering a tube phono stage (e.g. the updated RCA or even, horrors, an active RIAA design) vs this one as my next project. I have the Bugle now (I've rolled it with a number of opamps but NOT the 627/637) and find it quite nice (silent as can be!) though not crystal clear and nothing exceptional to write home about. Just overall very nice. A comparison might help me decide what to build.

I next install rectifiers and main filter caps. MUR860 is my preferred diode but of course other types can be tested here as well and to make things easier I marked pads with K and A. BG STD 1000/25 work very well as main filter caps in a phono circuit (better than any other BGs). Alternately, Panasonic FC or Elna Silmics could be also considered.

I'm getting approx 19V DC after smoothing and under full load.

I just noticed that Nichicon Muse is not on this list. Are Silmics preferred?

Anyone have experience with this AND the HagTech Bugle using the same opamps in both? I am considering a tube phono stage (e.g. the updated RCA or even, horrors, an active RIAA design) vs this one as my next project. I have the Bugle now (I've rolled it with a number of opamps but NOT the 627/637) and find it quite nice (silent as can be!) though not crystal clear and nothing exceptional to write home about. Just overall very nice. A comparison might help me decide what to build.

I used the bugle years ago - I think it was the first phono stage I had that wasn't part of my preamp...And I can definitely say that the bugle is nowhere even close to being in the same league as this phono stage. I haven't really done an A/B comparison, although the bugle is somewhere amongst my forgotten equipment, but over the past few years I have had a successive improvement in phono stages, going from the Bugle to the Lehman Black Cube, to the ARC PH3SE and finally to this one. In each case there was a definite improvement in clarity, dynamics and overall 'rightness'...
This phono is detailed, uber-dynamic, and crystal clear. IMO it competes with some of the best phono stages out there.
Of course, this all comes with the caveat that you have an appropriately low impedance cartridge. I am using the Lyra Delos at ~8 Ohm (I think) and it sounds fantastic...the 38 Ohm Dynavector sounded good as well, but because I was using a passive preamp I didn't get enough gain to properly judge its' performance.
Build it - it is a simple build, and you will not regret it!
Byron

Build it - it is a simple build, and you will not regret it!
Byron

Thanks Byron. That's pretty convincing (not that I was expecting a different answer) though I'd love to hear from others. More importantly, being a die hard cheapskate and scrounger, most of my DIY equipment as been built from parts bin scraps pulled from dead equipment, computer monitors, etc. etc. So...anyone build it from parts other than the specs? Most importantly the V-Caps, boutique resistors and opamps (particularly opamps in the power supply - are 627/637 really needed there?)?

I don't want to get into a pi**ing match about whether these parts matter in general. Just wondering if there are any el cheapo builds of this preamp out there and how do they sound? I'd probably start by rolling opamps that I have before shelling out for the 627/637s anyway. So any thoughts would be helpful. A recent job change and reduction in income forces my hand a little on this one.

So, put another way, how would you build this preamp on the cheap?

Thanks again,
Carl