The Phono Stage - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 22nd September 2012, 02:57 PM   #401
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

A word of advice. If you wish to leave the units on all the time, consider using a ventilated case. I used the rectangular aluminum tube. The PS caps (Nichicon muze KZ series) 1000uF@25V (C1/C2) are failing -- the electrolyte is boiling out of the top already. Or, they are at end of life simply by time spent on....

A question:

Is the value of C1/C2 in the power supply critical? Can this be increased?
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:35 PM   #402
diyAudio Member

Two tests:

Added C11/C12. This solved some issues I had with the hardness of the sound. I used Nichicon Muse here, and yes, the result sounds like Nichicon Muse. Elna Cerafine is used for the pre-regulator. These are crazy fast by themselves, adding C11/12 makes for a change that some people may enjoy. As for other caps here, I can't tell you. This is the first try.

------------------------

Adding 1uF tantalum caps on the power rails to the chips presented some very interesting problems. Gnd was power supply common -- the same ground used by the TT ground lug.

The hiss level went way down....but turning the volume control could now be heard at the speaker. Then the speaker fuse blew. I removed the work, replaced the fuse and all was well.

The gnd was power supply common -- same as the TT ground. I'm still searching for reasons why this hisses. It may be possible that the op amps I have are fakes? The hiss is not heard when music plays, but can be heard at listening volumes. I tend to listen at high volume.

Last edited by BigE; 3rd October 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 4th October 2012, 02:09 PM   #403
diyAudio Member

The Nichicon Muse at C11/C12 were taken out of circuit. The new IC I was using has broken in enough to be listenable now, and the muse slowed things down quite a bit.
Old 10th October 2012, 01:25 AM   #404
diyAudio Member

Current preferences for PS caps:

Elna Cerafine in pre-regulator position (C1/C2)
Elna Silmic II post regulator (C4/C5)

These have detail and larger soundstage. Nichicon Muse are coloured in comparison: much warmer, but less detail.
Old 24th October 2012, 03:11 AM   #405
diyAudio Member

Peter or any others...

Have you tried other devices for current sources than the LM317/337's? I was looking at the DN2540 which is used by K&K Audio and a lot of others in their CCSs.

Any thoughts as whether this is a good or bad idea?

Thx!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Finally getting my PD Phono Stage built up. I'm splitting the packaging up into three boxes... one for the transformers/diodes/main filter caps with a pair of 3-connection leads to a small box with the regulators and mounted directly on top of it a pair of copper cap enclosures for the active circuits. Hardest thing to do was cutting up those beautiful boards! Circuitry will be dual-mono and the regulator case (cast aluminum) will be the heatsink for the reg devices.
Old 29th October 2012, 06:09 PM   #406
diyAudio Member

I tried my phono stage with an SAE high output MC. There was no hiss. NONE. You could not tell the unit was on. Seems to me it's external to the phono stage...

Koetsu and SP-10 maybe not getting along?
Old 13th November 2012, 03:19 AM   #407
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

is it possible to put a volume control on this guy?
Old 13th November 2012, 06:11 AM   #408
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

maybe, but he might complain about the quality of it and then we would have to fork out big money for an exotic switched type.

And at these voltage levels you would be hard pressed to go wrong with silver solder and solid connections instead of using RCA plugs.

I prefer the sound of Elna Cerafine over Nichicon MUSE caps, sorry to hear that your MUSE caps have gone nuclear in the power supply, this is why I prefer to battery power critical equipment...

Last edited by freax; 13th November 2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 30th November 2012, 07:57 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

The Elna Cerafine are wonderful sounding caps in this phono section. Or should I say without sound.
Old 22nd January 2013, 02:19 PM   #410
diyAudio Member

Swapped the FT-903(G) for WBT 210 Ag, with excellent results. Sound is bigger, bigger stage, taller images, more low level detail.

No longer aggressive sounding, which I believe is a good thing, as the cartridge is a koetsu black goldline which should not be aggressive sounding to begin with.

Hide this!Advertise here!