The Phono Stage - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 17th August 2012, 07:16 PM   #391
BigE is online now BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Do not underestimate the effect of *good* RCA jacks. I just swapped the low end Cardas (Gold over brass) with Furutech FP903(G) (Gold over copper). There is no comparison, the Furutech is *so* much better.

With the Cardas, vocals could be shouty, with certain wiring configurations. The Furutech is a much better sounding connector. IMO, it is worth the money.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:54 AM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Do not underestimate the effect of *good* RCA jacks. I just swapped the low end Cardas (Gold over brass) with Furutech FP903(G) (Gold over copper). There is no comparison, the Furutech is *so* much better.

With the Cardas, vocals could be shouty, with certain wiring configurations. The Furutech is a much better sounding connector. IMO, it is worth the money.
If you had to guess why do you think this is?
Old 19th August 2012, 11:01 PM   #393
diyAudio Member

From my experience, copper connectors/ac plugs give a "darker" sound. You'd think that coated with gold, the difference would be slight, but the warmer sound of copper still comes through.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:07 AM   #394
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Yes, the boards are still available and I can supply most of the components as well.
Hi Peter,

I would like to organise a kit.

Can you pm me the details.

Macka
Old 12th September 2012, 02:22 AM   #395
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouston View Post
If you had to guess why do you think this is?
Transverse wave function on build and collapse has to go through a situation where it is polluted in rise and fall of signal dynamics (or delta) via the mechanism of lattice polarization differential, at the atomic scale. This simple micro noise of flutter is noticeable due to the fact that the ear does not separate things according to engineering terms and numerical weighting, it simply hears the sum total..and any micro noise or modulation is heard as being on the top of the signal's levels, as an overarching modifier.

Our ears are designed to miss the gross modulation of the hearing mechanism by large subsonic flutter, as in motion, pressure changes and blood flow in veins..but it is designed to be and is....absolutely HYPER sensitive to the slightest micro vibration and any differentials. Thus it hears and interprets even the smallest micro differentials, and associated harmonics.

There is more brain power dedicated to the hearing mechanism than any other function.

Since we are not all the same intelligence and not all the same level of wiring design and not the same level of capacity to learn, then it is no small wonder that some cannot be convinced of these basic facts.

Connected to that, is the understanding that the brain is plastic, hearing is not static, and it is a ear-brain combination that is subject to continual learning and neural connectivity and growth as we age/grow...of course..for the more adventurous and level minded individuals.

Lorentz lost the battle in 1927, thankfully, and science, via engineering emphasis, has tried desperately to undo his loss and revert science back to some form of predicted stagnation of dogmatic numerical proofs providing all facets of reality and potential futures.

Thankfully, some of us fight back against this obvious insanity. The core reason he lost that debate and fundamental aspect of scientific exploration, is that Einstein logically insisted that observation was king, and that reality could never follow theory to perfection (with theory and numbers leading all exploration and reality) and no such thing should ever be proposed. yet we still see some try to impose such thinking. Their motivations are to be deeply in question.

Regardless to all that, I'm interested in this phono stage. I've looked long and hard for some simple phono device/circuit that was premium on all levels. This appears to be it.
Old 12th September 2012, 02:58 AM   #396
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBK View Post
Transverse wave function on build and collapse has to go through a situation where it is polluted in rise and fall of signal dynamics (or delta) via the mechanism of lattice polarization differential, at the atomic scale. This simple micro noise of flutter is noticeable due to the fact that the ear does not separate things according to engineering terms and numerical weighting, it simply hears the sum total..and any micro noise or modulation is heard as being on the top of the signal's levels, as an overarching modifier.

Our ears are designed to miss the gross modulation of the hearing mechanism by large subsonic flutter, as in motion, pressure changes and blood flow in veins..but it is designed to be and is....absolutely HYPER sensitive to the slightest micro vibration and any differentials. Thus it hears and interprets even the smallest micro differentials, and associated harmonics.

There is more brain power dedicated to the hearing mechanism than any other function.

Since we are not all the same intelligence and not all the same level of wiring design and not the same level of capacity to learn, then it is no small wonder that some cannot be convinced of these basic facts.

Connected to that, is the understanding that the brain is plastic, hearing is not static, and it is a ear-brain combination that is subject to continual learning and neural connectivity and growth as we age/grow...of course..for the more adventurous and level minded individuals.

Lorentz lost the battle in 1927, thankfully, and science, via engineering emphasis, has tried desperately to undo his loss and revert science back to some form of predicted stagnation of dogmatic numerical proofs providing all facets of reality and potential futures.

Thankfully, some of us fight back against this obvious insanity. The core reason he lost that debate and fundamental aspect of scientific exploration, is that Einstein logically insisted that observation was king, and that reality could never follow theory to perfection (with theory and numbers leading all exploration and reality) and no such thing should ever be proposed. yet we still see some try to impose such thinking. Their motivations are to be deeply in question.

Regardless to all that, I'm interested in this phono stage. I've looked long and hard for some simple phono device/circuit that was premium on all levels. This appears to be it.
That is a blo%ody big guess. I happen to be a long time reader and follower of Theoretical Physics, Particle Physics, Cosmology etc. Not sure I followed every word but I got the gist. Thanks for going to the effort.
Old 12th September 2012, 03:44 AM   #397
diyAudio Member

I tired the LME49990 as a drop in replacement tonight, socketted on an adapter board. It did not work right, and was the victim of some hum. The sockets I have on the board are supposed to accept machine pins, and the adapter was of that kind. Some grounding issues were evident.

Replaced the OPA627 and all was well.

On a side note.... the red plastic inserts that help to hold the rca pin on the furtech 903 fell out tonight. I could only find one, but it still seem to work well.

Finally, if you do build this, it is *critical* that you get a solid connection from the phono ground lug to power supply common.

My original version used solid core Legenburg UPOCC copper, just because I had a bit left over.... bad idea. Since my build used the rectangular tubes, taking the boards in and out results in solid core wire failing.

Finally, all pissed off, I replaced with normal stranded hookup wire. The improvement in sonics was obvious. Now thinking about replacing the legenburg signal wire with something a bit better....
Old 12th September 2012, 01:00 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I tired the LME49990 as a drop in replacement tonight, socketted on an adapter board. It did not work right, and was the victim of some hum. The sockets I have on the board are supposed to accept machine pins, and the adapter was of that kind. Some grounding issues were evident.

Replaced the OPA627 and all was well.

On a side note.... the red plastic inserts that help to hold the rca pin on the furtech 903 fell out tonight. I could only find one, but it still seem to work well.

Finally, if you do build this, it is *critical* that you get a solid connection from the phono ground lug to power supply common.

My original version used solid core Legenburg UPOCC copper, just because I had a bit left over.... bad idea. Since my build used the rectangular tubes, taking the boards in and out results in solid core wire failing.

Finally, all pissed off, I replaced with normal stranded hookup wire. The improvement in sonics was obvious. Now thinking about replacing the legenburg signal wire with something a bit better....
What wire did you use in the end?
Old 12th September 2012, 01:13 PM   #399
diyAudio Member

For the ground, just cheap 20 gauge stranded hookup wire. Nothing special at all.

There may be modifications coming to my unit. I used Nichicon caps in the power supply section, but I am considering replacing with something else.

Again, since I used the rectangular aluminum tubes, space is at a premium, and I *must* use something of the same size or smaller. In a bigger box, you could substitute larger capacitors.
Old 22nd September 2012, 02:54 PM   #400
diyAudio Member

After listening, the cheap 20 gauge stranded proved to have some issues. Substituted 18 awg Furutech hookup wire and all is well.

Hide this!Advertise here!