The Phono Stage - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 25th December 2011, 06:42 PM   #351
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tms0425 View Post
There is very low noise, but there is a bit of hum that increases with volume even with metal cover and good separation (>12") to other AC components. I connected a ground wire from each phono board to the ground terminal then one from there to the TT metal chassis. My high gain Jolida JD9 has no hum using the same setup. Perhaps it's just too close proximity to unshielded AC inside the chassis and I'll have to try an umbilical?
I wouldn't suspect AC components, it's probably the grounds and some experimentation is needed here. What happens when ground wires are disconnected from the terminal? What happens if the terminal is connected directly to chassis and only TT ground attached to terminal?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 4th January 2012, 02:52 AM   #352
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had similar noise when the TT ground lug was connected to the chassis. When the TT ground lug was not connected to the chassis, the problem was gone.
Old 8th January 2012, 01:32 AM   #353
tms0425 is offline tms0425  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
I wouldn't suspect AC components, it's probably the grounds and some experimentation is needed here. What happens when ground wires are disconnected from the terminal? What happens if the terminal is connected directly to chassis and only TT ground attached to terminal?
No change.

Here is what I did tonight:
- Removed both black phono board ground wires from black ground terminal and also separated them from each other (floated)
- Removed TT ground from isolated black ground terminal (floated)
- Removed AC power to the TT
- Removed AC filter board and input circuitry from the back right of chassis
- Hardwired AC directly to the 2 power supplies in front of the chassis. IEC is fed there to the front instead of the back right.
- Re-dressed all cables to ensure they are separated away from AC sources

There was no change at all from these steps. One channel slightly more hum than the other, but not much. Basically gain is fairly high, to the point where hiss is starting to be evident when the hum starts.

When I remove the input cables from the preamp or remove the headshell all is quiet, which I suppose makes sense. This old Empire tonearm cable and arm wiring does not have any shielding or a separate ground on it. The ground wire from the TT is tied to the plinth/chassis itself, a few inches from the arm base. I have a new TT and tonearm on the way so will replace that very soon.

I guess it's time to separate the power supplies from the phono boards, recheck soldering, and see what happens. It's just a pain because they're both hardwired.

The strange thing is I actually built up a PhonoClone3 without a case and I have a stock Jolida JD9 and neither of them hums with the same TT/arm.
Old 10th January 2012, 08:26 PM   #354
Szabcsi is offline Szabcsi  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Peter,

I just sent a PM to you concerning a kit order.

Szabolcs
Old 10th January 2012, 08:40 PM   #355
diyAudio Member

tms0425,

Where does the ground wire go from the TT to the phono section?

On mine, I did not cut the boards in half, and populated only one side. This meant, I could use the regular positions for the PS caps on the phono circuit board. The ground from the TT goes to PS common ( right between the two caps on the board).
Old 11th January 2012, 12:05 AM   #356
tms0425 is offline tms0425  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
tms0425,

Where does the ground wire go from the TT to the phono section?

On mine, I did not cut the boards in half, and populated only one side. This meant, I could use the regular positions for the PS caps on the phono circuit board. The ground from the TT goes to PS common ( right between the two caps on the board).
I had one wire from each phono board over to the insulated ground terminal. TT ground was connected there.
Old 11th January 2012, 04:00 PM   #357
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

are the PSU/regulators available separately?
Old 11th January 2012, 04:09 PM   #358
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th January 2012, 05:04 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tms0425 View Post
I had one wire from each phono board over to the insulated ground terminal. TT ground was connected there.
Where is is attached on the phono board? Mine is attached to the GND side of the two caps on the phono circuit. See Peter's photos on post #1

Last edited by BigE; 11th January 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 15th January 2012, 07:58 PM   #360
freebee is offline freebee  France
diyAudio Member

Default Ordering Phono Kit

Is it possible to order the full kit through Audiosector?

Hide this!Advertise here!