The Phono Stage - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 26th July 2011, 08:46 PM   #321
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Peter, are those Tx less offensive than EI for hum field in practice? Should project from their core corners for one.
Those transformers are OK and the main advantage is that they fit directly on a pcb. Sound-wise, I think that similar EI Hammond units sound a bit better; as to the noise, I didn't notice anything special.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 28th July 2011, 12:02 AM   #322
slawney is offline slawney  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have not really gone so far with the umbilicals as you have, Peter. What are the gains? What is in the construction? Shielding? Damping? What is going on inside those silver snakes?
Old 30th July 2011, 03:24 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Well, isn't it strange that there are so many different brands and designs of interconnects, speaker cables and AC cords, but nobody so far came up with an "audiophile" version of umbilical cable?

A local friend of mine got into cables business couple years ago and out of curiosity he built and umbilical with a similar design as his other cables: BLUEBERRY HILL AUDIO-Manufacturer of high-end cables

When I got invited for an audition, I got really surprised, as the gains were very similar to what you can achieve by plugging in a quality interconnect, to the point that the circuit actually sounded better with that special umbilical than when PS and phono circuit were connected directly on one board.

I'm not really familiar with the details of his products, but from what I've heard, the materials, the geometry (spacing of the conductiors inside the "silver snake"), raw wire surface treatment are all very critical for best results.

I did slowly replace all my cables with his and so far I'm very content. You can also notice that I even use his umbilical on CEC TL0.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sys2.jpg (199.2 KB, 694 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 30th July 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 30th July 2011, 01:16 PM   #324
diyAudio Member

Great! I see that Blueberry Hill will be represented at the TAVES show here in Toronto! I am looking forward to checking out his products...

BTW, the hissing - I replaced the opamps from real ones from digikey and waddyaknow, it's fixed...So beware cheaper OPA637/627 from China! I guess the old "If it sounds to good to be true..." bit me in the butt once again
Byron
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:28 PM   #325
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

I bought my 637's from arrow electronics in the US, they were cheapest, and I have hiss issues.

Where did you get yours?
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:24 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

Digikey
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:06 PM   #327
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Mine I got from someone in Cali. from fleabay. Could easily be fakes. Still working on getting mine up and running!
Old 3rd August 2011, 04:52 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried substituting D11,D12 with LED's?
Old 8th August 2011, 02:20 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

Seems that my woes are from poor IC's or connectors elsewhere in the system.

I really like this phono section. It will not be replaced -- there is no reason for it.
Old 17th August 2011, 04:02 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

According to Vcap, their caps take 400 hours to break in. That's a lot of wear on a cartridge. Thankfully, I'm using an old one.

At about 1/3 of the way there, the sound has changed a LOT. I'm really liking this unit.

Hide this!Advertise here!