The Phono Stage - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 12th July 2011, 03:01 AM   #291
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone have experience with this AND the HagTech Bugle using the same opamps in both? I am considering a tube phono stage (e.g. the updated RCA or even, horrors, an active RIAA design) vs this one as my next project. I have the Bugle now (I've rolled it with a number of opamps but NOT the 627/637) and find it quite nice (silent as can be!) though not crystal clear and nothing exceptional to write home about. Just overall very nice. A comparison might help me decide what to build.
Old 16th July 2011, 08:14 PM   #292
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Can R7 be 100R instead of 47R?
Salas Boards 2014 #2 On order |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 16th July 2011, 09:21 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
Can R7 be 100R instead of 47R?
Yes, no problem at all.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th July 2011, 10:34 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2011, 07:03 PM   #295
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why change it? Mine is removed completely, as it is supposed to sound more "open".
Old 20th July 2011, 07:31 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Why change it? Mine is removed completely, as it is supposed to sound more "open".
I have a nice 100R caddock, and only crappy 47R's.

I guess if I remove the resistor and jumper, and I don't have it hooked up, I will likely cook something - if I read the thread correctly.

Not a chance I want to take.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 On order |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 20th July 2011, 07:44 PM   #297
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
I next install rectifiers and main filter caps. MUR860 is my preferred diode but of course other types can be tested here as well and to make things easier I marked pads with K and A. BG STD 1000/25 work very well as main filter caps in a phono circuit (better than any other BGs). Alternately, Panasonic FC or Elna Silmics could be also considered.

I'm getting approx 19V DC after smoothing and under full load.
I just noticed that Nichicon Muse is not on this list. Are Silmics preferred?
Old 20th July 2011, 07:57 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp View Post
Anyone have experience with this AND the HagTech Bugle using the same opamps in both? I am considering a tube phono stage (e.g. the updated RCA or even, horrors, an active RIAA design) vs this one as my next project. I have the Bugle now (I've rolled it with a number of opamps but NOT the 627/637) and find it quite nice (silent as can be!) though not crystal clear and nothing exceptional to write home about. Just overall very nice. A comparison might help me decide what to build.

I used the bugle years ago - I think it was the first phono stage I had that wasn't part of my preamp...And I can definitely say that the bugle is nowhere even close to being in the same league as this phono stage. I haven't really done an A/B comparison, although the bugle is somewhere amongst my forgotten equipment, but over the past few years I have had a successive improvement in phono stages, going from the Bugle to the Lehman Black Cube, to the ARC PH3SE and finally to this one. In each case there was a definite improvement in clarity, dynamics and overall 'rightness'...
This phono is detailed, uber-dynamic, and crystal clear. IMO it competes with some of the best phono stages out there.
Of course, this all comes with the caveat that you have an appropriately low impedance cartridge. I am using the Lyra Delos at ~8 Ohm (I think) and it sounds fantastic...the 38 Ohm Dynavector sounded good as well, but because I was using a passive preamp I didn't get enough gain to properly judge its' performance.
Build it - it is a simple build, and you will not regret it!
Byron
Old 20th July 2011, 07:59 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Byron,

Did you use R7?
Old 21st July 2011, 01:25 AM   #300
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Build it - it is a simple build, and you will not regret it!
Byron
Thanks Byron. That's pretty convincing (not that I was expecting a different answer) though I'd love to hear from others. More importantly, being a die hard cheapskate and scrounger, most of my DIY equipment as been built from parts bin scraps pulled from dead equipment, computer monitors, etc. etc. So...anyone build it from parts other than the specs? Most importantly the V-Caps, boutique resistors and opamps (particularly opamps in the power supply - are 627/637 really needed there?)?

I don't want to get into a pi**ing match about whether these parts matter in general. Just wondering if there are any el cheapo builds of this preamp out there and how do they sound? I'd probably start by rolling opamps that I have before shelling out for the 627/637s anyway. So any thoughts would be helpful. A recent job change and reduction in income forces my hand a little on this one.

So, put another way, how would you build this preamp on the cheap?

Thanks again,
Carl

Hide this!Advertise here!