• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

The Phono Stage

I had a denon 103r with it and the output was fine going through my 845 set amp and zu druids.

I built peter's gainclone and was very happy. The only thing I wanted more was the bass. Now I am using the 3xlm3886 pa150 and the bass is there.

Last edited:
I tried 3 different brands of LM337 and two on a left do not work without C4/100uF across them (voltage stays at low level). The Motorola works fine without caps.

Now, can someone explane that? :spin:
Yes, they are not 100% alike inside and you should read the datasheets and application notes for all of them. This is a common phenomena in the electronic business.

BTW, wasn't the C4 the cap you shouldn't use? The constant current circuit?

I had a denon 103r with it and the output was fine going through my 845 set amp and zu druids.

I built peter's gainclone and was very happy. The only thing I wanted more was the bass. Now I am using the 3xlm3886 pa150 and the bass is there.

Was the lack of bass due to a lack of power for your speaker design? My speakers use 15" pro drivers and are 100-101db. The 8 watts per speaker from my 300B monoblocks provided plenty of bass and volume.

I've read a lot more since posting above and have decided to use the Plitron power supply with the phono stage and chip amp. I'll just wait until I have the funds to do it right and build one at a time with Peters proven design.

James

BTW, wasn't the C4 the cap you shouldn't use? The constant current circuit?

Says who, I shouldn't, Peranders?

Read my post again and figure out why two of those regulators didn't work without C4 cap. And yeah, show me some references from data sheet explaining that phenomena. Otherwise, don't bother posting here if you have nothing useful to add.

Was the lack of bass due to a lack of power for your speaker design? My speakers use 15" pro drivers and are 100-101db. The 8 watts per speaker from my 300B monoblocks provided plenty of bass and volume.

I've read a lot more since posting above and have decided to use the Plitron power supply with the phono stage and chip amp. I'll just wait until I have the funds to do it right and build one at a time with Peters proven design.

James

You can try using 2x9v battery for each channel before you build your power supply just to get a feel on how it sounds. BTW: I didn't hear any difference between the battery and my power supply built with Panasonic FC caps other than a bit less hum when idle with volume cranked up beyond listening level.

My speakers are similar to yours, 101db full range with super tweeter. I should have clarified that I was speaking in relative terms. I built an Aleph 30 first and was really impressed with its bass. But I liked the mid and top on the gainclone which felt more clean and detailed without losing that sweetness. BTW: I removed the R1 on the gainclone, with it, the Aleph 30 still sounds better.

Any info on battery life running the two 9v cells? Standard Alkalines or rechargeable? And how is the quality of the sound running at 9v (I seem to recall something about a 15v operating point for the amp)? Thanks. I'm always interested in battery operated components if they don't suck down cells.

Carl

Denon DL-160

I just purchased a Denon DL-160 after coming to the conclusion that my DL-103R is not a good match for the low mass graphite polymer arm on my Pioneer PL-L800 Tangential Tracking Table. I know there are specific parameters Peters Phono Stage is designed to work within, but I was wondering if anyone has tried a higher output MC with a higher output impedance. My thoughts are that a MC cartridge with higher output impedance wouldn't have as much gain, but, with the higher output does it need as much. Is it possible to drop the output impedance of the cartridge by running a resistor in parallel across the input of the Phono Stage to drop the input impedance. Don't laugh to hard, it's just a thought from a newbie here.

James

It's not the weight that's the problem. The 103 has low compliance(stiff suspension) which is designed to work better with a heavier mass arm. I have a very low mass arm, so I need a cartridge with higher compliance(more flexible suspension). Not matching the mass of the arm and the compliance of the cartridge can lead the some weird things including the resonant frequencies being in the audio band, or the stylus jumping out of the groove on records that have a little warp.

Think of it as putting monster truck shocks on a Honda Civic, or vice versa. Neither would be a very good ride.

Not trying to hijack anything, but I'm probably gonna build the Hagtech Bugle for now, because as much as I want to build this I don't think it provide the desired results.

James

A cheap MC cartridge wont do this preamp justice. If you haven't started the project yet, I would suggest you get a MM cartridge (NOS perhaps), plenty of good ones to be found around $300. Or get on Audiogon and get an decent used MC cartridge, but then again, that could get tricky (although all of my experiences have been positive). My opinion, of course.

I'm looking at the Denon DL-301 II currently. Do the specs look like it would work with this Phono Stage?

Denon DL-301 MKII Specifications
# Output: 0.4mV
# Output impedance: 33ohms
# Stylus: special elliptical tip
# Frequency range: 20Hz-60kHz
# Tracking force: 1.2-1.6g
# Compliance: 13x 10-6cm/dyne
# Weight: 6.0g