The Phono Stage - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 11th November 2009, 05:20 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I mean only Digi Key stock, but the old ones have thicker brass tabs, the new ones are all silver and very thin (and of course pb free) ;-)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 13th November 2009, 08:04 PM   #92
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter, would the use of torroid affect the sound?
Old 14th November 2009, 04:07 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

I don't think it would have that much influence, there are many well regarded phono preamps with toroids.

My main reason for using Hammond 229D24 was convenience: I wanted to keep the phono board in a same format as DACs, I wanted transformer to be pcb mounted and most of all, it all had to fit inside 2x3 aluminum tubing.

I'm pretty sure toroid will work here quite well too.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 15th November 2009, 05:43 PM   #94
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

transformers designed like the hammond test to have less high frequency coupling between primary and secondary, so likely provide some helpful line noise filtering.

mlloyd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quan View Post
Hi Peter, would the use of torroid affect the sound?
Old 16th November 2009, 08:56 AM   #95
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter, i noted that you stated on phono section-C3- any voltage rating would be ok? As Pc has no BG N10/50 but only 33/16.-would that be ok as a substitute?.
Old 16th November 2009, 01:14 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Use WIMA MKS2 10uF/16VDC for C3 instead.

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 16th November 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 17th November 2009, 02:00 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Default Another completed

First, very nice work by 04dgmsilv! I use similar RCAs (Vampire PCB2F/S), and your technique of mounting the PCB directly on the jacks never occurred to me - great idea.
My unit is just now running breaking in, but already sounds great.
I used Peter's recommended parts for the power supply, but in the audio circuit I used 1% film and foil polystyrene caps I had on hand, along with PRP resistors. I found some 1" by 2" square aluminum stock for Peter's suggested heatsinks which work out great. They barely get warm.

I measured the frequency response of mine (using the Hagerman inverse RIAA) and its very flat (well within the 0.25db tolerance of the Hagerman) except for the very high end, where mine measured up 1.1db at 20Khz. It could well be a measurement error.
My unit draws 5.3 watts of power when on.
I'm using it with a high outpur moving coil - a Dynavector 10x4, so the gain is a bit low (2.5mv, 270 ohm impedance), but only a bit lower than with the ARC PH-3.
Thanks to Peter for all his work on this project and his help sourcing parts!
Mike

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th November 2009, 09:25 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Both units look very nice. I like the direct RCA mount method and oversized heatsinks
Old 25th November 2009, 06:11 PM   #99
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter, for the kit, I have been using it with my Denon 103R and am very happy with the result.

A side note, I have a couple of MM phono amps (Project Tubebox SE II and Yaqin MS-12B) that I would like to downsize/sell. Which MM phono amp kit can you recommand so that I can have something for my nice MM cartridges as well?
Old 25th November 2009, 07:38 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

I would recommend this circuit: AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis with shunt regulators as in MC phono project.

Hide this!Advertise here!