Universal Power Supply PCB - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 28th March 2010, 01:35 PM   #31
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the optimal grounding scheme for this PSU when used as V+/V- ? It is for an F5 amp.

Specificaly where is the best place to pick up the chassis ground? Best place to hook up the neg speaker terminals? Do the two center "ground" traces need to be jumpered together?

Thanks!
carl
Old 30th March 2010, 04:39 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, it's recommended to connect center ground traces (red jumper in attached pic). That would be your power star ground where all other grounds are connected (also the chassis ground). Attached is also wiring diagram for F5 amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps0o.jpg (73.7 KB, 2253 views)
File Type: jpg f5_grounds1.jpg (47.0 KB, 2365 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Last edited by Peter Daniel; 30th March 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:58 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter,

I essentially connected as you suggest with the exception of not using the jumper on the PSU board. I ran 6 independent ground leads from the GND of the PSU - one to each neg speaker terminal, one to each amp board, and two to the chassis(one from each side).

Everything appears to be functioning normally and the amp is quiet.
Old 11th April 2010, 04:15 PM   #34
lauret is offline lauret  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Now, for those who were wondering what are all those additional components for, here's the picture of the regulator circuit with LT1086. Of course this is no good for power amps, but works fine with preamps, active filters etc.
What kind of parts did you use in the regulator? I can only see the Nichicon (what value?) and the LT part...
Old 11th April 2010, 05:02 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Just follow the datasheet: http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDoc...55,P1358,D1722

The large caps in a pic are 4,700uF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lt.jpg (26.6 KB, 2118 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:20 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
The rectifier section accepts high power diodes mounted as in a picture below (they can be attached directly to a chassis for heat dissipation, isolation pads needed). The board is designed mainly for 3 pin rectifiers, but will work with other diodes packages as well. Here's MUR3060:
I may have made an error here, you say isolation pads are needed? Nuts I used transistor grease and put them directly to the case. I guess I need to remove the grease and use isolation pads here then? I havent fire it up yet thank goodness!

Russellc

Last edited by Russellc; 22nd June 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:28 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Depends on the rectifiers you use. The ones I use FOR MY F5 HERE do not need to be isolated.

I did not deploy the use of Peter's rectifier boards though. The Vishay rectifiers are cheaper and a little easier to use.
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:45 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkpkg View Post
Depends on the rectifiers you use. The ones I use FOR MY F5 HERE do not need to be isolated.

I did not deploy the use of Peter's rectifier boards though. The Vishay rectifiers are cheaper and a little easier to use.
I uised the MUR 3060 and Peters boards

russellc
Old 22nd June 2010, 03:15 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

A-ha - yes you will need silpads or something. I started down that path and thought I would try the vishay units out to save some $$$ and they work fine.
Old 16th December 2010, 04:46 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Peter, How would I utilize your power supply boards for the Pass Pearl 2 that I am building.

Hide this!Advertise here!