Audiosector USB DAC - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 4th December 2009, 01:44 AM   #21
HKC is offline HKC  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
Yes, you can easily do that. Please see attached schematic posted by dddac, of course you don't need to use 12x TDA1543, but a single one:
Hi Peter

Did you develop pcb for the schematic of this balanced dddac you posted? If so I would like to buy 2 boards. Please advice.
Old 4th December 2009, 02:11 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I didn't developed such board neither investigated it any further. If I need balanced output I run it through TVC.

Peter
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 16th December 2009, 06:41 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Peter,
I just want to thank you, I got a friend (Nick Longdon) to get your Audiosector DAC for me, and I love it.
I've put a few shots of this beauty on flickr, with some comments from forums that helped sway me: AudioSector USB DAC on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I was all set to get the DacMagic, loaned one from a shop, but is sounded pretty harsh in the treble. I'm so glad I went with your AudioSector DAC, it is everything I'd hoped for, it sounds superb.
Old 20th December 2009, 03:09 AM   #24
HKC is offline HKC  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The USB is a very good DAC even compare to my Micro Mega. I am now currently connected it to my iBookG4 laptop via USB but heard it would be better if wire it by firewire since iBook has firewire socket. Would like to know is it possible to modify the DAC from USB to Firewire connection?
Old 20th December 2009, 03:55 AM   #25
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKC View Post
The USB is a very good DAC even compare to my Micro Mega. I am now currently connected it to my iBookG4 laptop via USB but heard it would be better if wire it by firewire since iBook has firewire socket. Would like to know is it possible to modify the DAC from USB to Firewire connection?
lots of work!
Old 21st December 2009, 05:16 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKC View Post
Without special chips and custom programing it's basically not possible. But could it really be that much better?

I've been experimenting with improving those DACs for quite some time now. The results are very promising and I wouldn't do it without an input from a forum member Bobken who spent countless hours tweaking his SPDIF DAC.

Attached pics show my personal SPDIF DAC, which I'm using currently with Shigaclone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC-mod1.jpg (191.5 KB, 1328 views)
File Type: jpg DAC-mod2.jpg (199.2 KB, 1303 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st December 2009, 03:03 PM   #27
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter. A few years ago, I think it was, you and Damien Antoniak made a small sized PCB of your DAC with no onboard transformer (regulat SPdif). I have built this one with no premium components buy none the less I am very satisfied with it. A while ago I decided to move it into my preamp and thus saving space. The DAC/Pre-combo works as it should and as a source I am using a small laptop running J River media center and a usb-SPDif-converter to feed it the signal.

I usually let the laptop and preamp/Dac remain switched on and only turn the power amps off. A few days ago I did as usual, stopped the mediacenter and switched the power amps off. The next day the is no music comming out of the dac. The laptop delivers music to my receiver so the digital output is working, the pre works fine and there is no faulty wiring between the DAC and pre. I mesured the output voltage on all the voltage regulators and they are showing correct values also.

So:
Do you have any thoughts of what it is that has gone wrong and perhaps how to check if the rest of the ICs are ok?

I have never even heard on someone getting large power surges exekt with lightningsstrikes over here so the chance of that is quite small.

Kind regards
Ken
Old 31st December 2009, 04:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

So far there were few people experiencing problems with USB receivers during power surges etc.

I assume you have a SPDIF DAC version with USB converter. I would check the DAC with a regular CD transport first.
Old 1st January 2010, 11:51 AM   #29
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Daniel View Post
So far there were few people experiencing problems with USB receivers during power surges etc.

I assume you have a SPDIF DAC version with USB converter. I would check the DAC with a regular CD transport first.
I don't own any kind of dvd or CD anymore so I tried an old soundbridge (a mediastreamer) with has workt earlier. This didn´t work either. While I was testing I measured the voltage at the input and output of the regulators and they still show the correct DC voltages. I did however switch the multimeter over to measure AC and it showed around 20VAC at the input of the regulators (2x9V transformer used). It seems that something has, well, gone wrong after all.
Old 1st January 2010, 07:14 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

What is the voltage after rectification, before regulators?

Also, what is the DC voltage on pins 6, 7, 8 of TDA1543 ?

Hide this!Advertise here!