Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 19th May 2009, 09:19 PM   #701
diyAudio Member

I think 35VAC/50VDC is way too much.

LM3875 can handle (in theory) 84VDC(42-0-42).
Old 19th May 2009, 09:27 PM   #702
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by roger_lew
and I figure my rail voltages will be about 50V (35 x 1.4).
Those would be way too high, you shouldn't be exceeding 40V on rails.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 19th May 2009, 09:38 PM   #703
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking the 84 rating was from 0 to the rail.

Does anyone know if a regulated center tap power supply suitable for gainclone use?
Old 19th May 2009, 10:00 PM   #704
diyAudio Member

Check this thread for regulated supply option: LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

However, don't take seriously the hype that it elevates the chipamp to a league of it's own.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th May 2009, 12:58 AM   #705
diyAudio Member

Thanks again Peter. That thread was helpful (despite the hype ).

I suppose the easiest way to go about this is to give up on dual mono and have a single PSU power both channels. That way I can use each transformer to power each rail of a regulated power supply (with center tap wave rectifier).

Building a dedicated regulated supply for each channel isn't straight forward enough for me to attempt given my very limited experience. Since I have center tapped transformers building one seems to require a 5 amp negative voltage regulator (complementary ICs to the LM338) which don't seem to be commonly available.

Does this plan seem reasonable?

Roger
Old 20th May 2009, 01:23 AM   #706
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roger_lew
... one seems to require a 5 amp negative voltage regulator (complementary ICs to the LM338) which don't seem to be commonly available.
You don't need that, both positive and negative rails are powered from a (positive) LM388 regulator: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1114473823
Old 20th May 2009, 01:39 AM   #707
diyAudio Member

Right, we are on the same page. If I build a single power supply for both channels I don' t need a negative voltage regulator. I can use two LM338s.

But if I wanted to go full mono and build a regulated dual channel supply with a single center tapped transformer I would need a high current negative voltage regulator.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...94#post1616994
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...73#post1617073
Old 20th May 2009, 11:19 AM   #708
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If you use half of each transformer, you can build a positive regulator on each.
Couple the two +ve supplies together to create a dual polarity supply.

What a waste of resources.

If these transformers are so important to you then buy amplifiers that suit +-50Vdc supplies.
Old 20th May 2009, 04:38 PM   #709
diyAudio Member

You can use one (complete) transformer per rail, if you wire them as in attached schematic. This setup will also allow positive regulator in a negative rail.

Such supply would be powering both channels.

If you need dual mono configuration, with separate supply for each channel, you need to source suitable negative regulators.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg txx.jpg (16.0 KB, 816 views)
Old 20th May 2009, 07:07 PM   #710
diyAudio Member

Andrew,

Thanks for the advice. I'm dead set on building a gainclone from a audiosector kit due to their simplicity and the detail Peter has put into the instructions. Whether I use these transformers with a regulated PS or buy toroids is still something I'm tolling over. I might just save these for a more suitable project down the road.

Peter,

I placed an order for a premium kit. Thanks for the schematic. We are still on the same page.

Hide this!Advertise here!