Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 21st May 2008, 11:02 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Thanks guys, I'll cover the power supply tomorrow
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:11 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

quick question, seeing the powersupply, PG+ and PG- should be connected together as the electronic common ground?
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:19 AM   #53
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

PG+ & PG- are already connected by a PCB trace.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:40 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

@Andrew,

thanks, yes i see the PCB trace it is connected. this is look almost like the PSU i mentioned on my other thread, the difference is this PSU only use 1 transformer with 2x25v secondary rail, and use 2xDiode rectifier. Could this also be implemented with 2 transformer?
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:39 AM   #55
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

yes, one transformer secondary to each PSU input pair.

That's the beauty of twin secondary windings, they are isolated from each other. Separating the transformers simply follows the same isolation. Unfortunately twin transformers also increases the regulation unless you choose very large transformers which have lower regulation.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:54 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

I believe i have post this question on other thread, but I want to know about single or split supply, what are the benefits?

can someone point to me where to read about this? I have a TDA2050 amp, powered with a single supply of +18.5volts, speaker load is 8ohm.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:16 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by casiomax
I believe i have post this question on other thread, but I want to know about single or split supply, what are the benefits?
The explanation can be found on 47Labs site: http://sakurasystems.com/faq.html

Q. What kind of improvement do we get by adding an extra power supply?
A. By adding another power supply, you make it into a complete mono structure. It also adds more power (does not double though) and current capacity. The result is an airier, deeper soundstage and more authotity through the entire frequency range.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:49 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

This is my test setup, where I'll show how to wire transformer and power supply.
Please note that this is for demonstration purpose only, so you don't see a proper metal chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setup.jpg (99.0 KB, 10638 views)
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:55 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Lets start with a transformer. I use Plitron 300VA, 2 x 22V AC in all my amps, both stereo and dual mono. It is is approx $100 for a single unit. Getting similar Avel transformer from Partsexpress will cost you $50/pc.

If I order custom transformers, I prefer secondary at the core with wire diameter 1.8mm (for 300VA unit). I tested some amorphous core custom transformers and they sounded marginally better than standard core.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transformer.jpg (87.4 KB, 9847 views)
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:00 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

If your transformer comes with a standard mounting hardware, that's what you use.

Plitrons are epoxy filled and hardware is not included. I increase the hole to 3/8" size and install ancor nut with a matching screw, available from Home Depot. The screw hole size, in a bottom of a chassis, is 1/4".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screw.jpg (70.8 KB, 8898 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!