Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 23rd March 2009, 12:30 AM   #541
cyxg is offline cyxg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Black Gate Capacitors!

Quote:
Originally posted by lanchile07
mubeen, if I may contribute in something.I used the "premium parts" too, but I was like you.I was trying to get the most of these amps.so I decided to change the capacitors from Panasonic capacitors 1500uf (premium kit) to "Black Gate" capacitors 1000uf 50v.
The result was a huge improvement!,of course these caps cost a lot,but it was worthy all the way!.Some people do not hear a difference ,but I did an A/B test with Black Gate capacitors and they are the BIG improvement that you are looking for. Remember to let the capacitors "run" for at least a month or so.
Good Luck buddy!

I think so.
Black Gate is my choice.
Old 23rd March 2009, 05:32 AM   #542
ppapcro is offline ppapcro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter

Quote:
If you run separate PS, there is no need to connect both channel grounds as in Patek amp; run them separately all the way. Here's an example of such amp.
What was the example you referred to? It didn't show up.
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:36 PM   #543
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

A quick question. I've been running my amp in "test mode" for about a week now, meaning I have no lid on the chassis and I'm still waiting on heat sinks to complete the box. I've been operating the unit without heat-sinks but in good ventilation, and it works but if i turn the volume up too high, one or both of the channels cuts out completely. Is this clipping, or overheating? There's no distortion, just a cut-out that returns to normal after a few seconds, usually when I pull back on the volume a few clicks. Will heat sinks resolve this or is this the sharp clipping that I saw on the transformer voltages diagram when reaching a certain volume?

Many thanks
Lucas
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:38 PM   #544
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Lucas,
this is neither clipping nor overheating.
This is plain and simple operator abuse.

GET THE HEATSINKS FITTED!!!
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:04 PM   #545
Vautrin is offline Vautrin  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Although I'm entirely happy with my current build, I'm curious to know what effects other capacitors might yield. For example, would Elna 1,000uf / 50v Silmics work in place of the Panasonic 1,500uf caps? Are there other substitutions you'd recommend trying? What value ranges are compatible (uf and v)? Or should I leave well-enough alone? (All I need is the slightest reason to order another kit, heh). Thanks!

David Barnett
SW Florida
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:05 PM   #546
diyAudio Member

It's overheating! Haha! Heatsink fitted - problem solved...thanks.

Lucas
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:33 PM   #547
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by ppapcro
What was the example you referred to? It didn't show up.
Here it is: The most advanced GainClone amp yet

Quote:
Originally posted by Vautrin
Although I'm entirely happy with my current build, I'm curious to know what effects other capacitors might yield. For example, would Elna 1,000uf / 50v Silmics work in place of the Panasonic 1,500uf caps? Are there other substitutions you'd recommend trying? What value ranges are compatible (uf and v)? Or should I leave well-enough alone? (All I need is the slightest reason to order another kit, heh). Thanks!
Florida
I didn't try Silmics with those amps, and Panasonic FCs were the second choice after BGs:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...431#post574431

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...230#post581230
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 24th March 2009, 12:33 AM   #548
ppapcro is offline ppapcro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter, that's exactly what I meant. So, separate all the way. In this layout, with no common ground point, is there still a way to tie each board's signal ground to the chassis for shielding
purposes? A separate wire from each amp board OG to same point on chassis?
Old 24th March 2009, 08:37 AM   #549
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A small ceramic cap in parallel to the disconnecting network achieves the HF coupling that is required for interference screening.

A ceramic cap from RCA barrel (return/ground) to the Chassis may achieve the same suppression.
Old 25th March 2009, 08:47 PM   #550
diyAudio Member

I've just finished preliminary project with Peter's boards.Everything is still on wooden board with no chassis.I've built dual mono bi-amp amplifier.On bass there's 2200uF Pana FC,on treble 100uF BG standard.I have a couple of questions.

About grounding.Do I have to connect every ground point on boards(SG,PG,OG,CHG...) in one point?I'm trying to built separate PS.

About pot.When I first tried amp with only two boards(simple stereo) 50k pot was ok.But now when i have two boards in parallel(on each channel) it's seems to much.I need to turn pot for about 70% to be very loud.I can turn it to 100% and listen(very,very loud),but I don't think that's 4x55W.For instance I've listened my other amp rated 45W at 8 ohms with 50k pot too,but I can't listen after 70% pot turn.It's too loud for me.What should I do?

Sorry if my English is not so good :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!