Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 19th March 2009, 12:55 AM   #531
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
You may try Zobel, checking the small cap wouldn't hurt either. As to Zobel, it is 2R7 and 0.1uF.
Can anybody explain or point me to info on installing a Zobel network, and what I'm trying to achieve with it? Will it make my amp more mediocre? That would be a shame...

Many thanks
Lucas
Old 19th March 2009, 01:00 AM   #532
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Well, if you check this thread, it may make you believe that the amp needs a Zobel: I'm sorry, but the amp needs a zobel

However, in well integrated systems, Zobel can actually degrade the sound, ask Nuuk

Quote:
Originally posted by ppapcro
Hi Peter

Would there be any problem (in terms of grounding/hum) with a
3-chassis setup like this:

center- patek style power star ground layout for amp boards
left- 300 VA TR into rec. brd. then out umbil. to L amp inputs
right- 300 VA TR into rec. brd. then out umbil. to R amp inputs

with the ground wires from L & R psu's connecting to the thick copper star joining the amp boards
If you run separate PS, there is no need to connect both channel grounds as in Patek amp; run them separately all the way. Here's an example of such amp.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th March 2009, 02:46 AM   #533
diyAudio Member

Hi
which setup of the lm4780 kit is sonically better, paralleled or bridged?
I'd like to use it as a sub woofer amp. Should I use bigger caps or implement the snubber?
Old 20th March 2009, 03:09 AM   #534
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
In my experience, bridged is better, but you need a balanced source and be sure that speaker impedance does not go below 8 ohm. Otherwise you have no choice but to go paralleled.

Snuber is recommended only with big caps, so go with big caps first and then try a snubber.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st March 2009, 02:18 PM   #535
KASUMI is offline KASUMI  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Earthing again

Hi
I've built a premium kit to be used with Oris horns boosting a bass driver,thanks Peter for the quick delivery.
The amp is in a mono config feeding a crossover for the horns.I'm getting a low level hum.
I have the power earth connected to the chassis.What should be earthed in this arrangement.Hopefully the pic should show the connections
Regards
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0360.jpg (95.7 KB, 1035 views)
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:27 AM   #536
diyAudio Member

Quick edit the output of the crossover feeds the chipamp and + and - is the input,Output is from pin 2 of the pot and - on the board.have tried various earthing arrangements.
Thanks
Rob
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:44 AM   #537
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the secondaries look like insulated solid core.
If they are, replace with longer flexible stranded, still twisted.

Now you may have enough lead flexibility to rotate your toroid on it's mounting bolt. This may affect the hum by pointing the worst field spikes away from the sensitive circuits. Rotate to minimise hum and then consider whether you need/wish to shorten the flexy leads.

The mains Safety Earth should be shortened and bolted next to the incoming mains location.
The ground attached to that existing bolt can stay where it is.
It might be worth trying a wire link or a cap link from the metal pot support back to the Safety Earth plate.

How warm is it going to get inside that insulated box when the lid is secured? My guess is that everything inside will slowly cook even with just 5W of losses shared among all those components. Maybe 10 to 15W of losses, try measuring the quiescent consumption with no load.
Old 22nd March 2009, 03:09 PM   #538
cyxg is offline cyxg  Australia
diyAudio Member

hi,peter

I am very interest in you amp. I want to buy a 3875 kit for my ProAc 2.5.
please give me suggestion.
thanks.
Old 22nd March 2009, 03:09 PM   #539
cyxg is offline cyxg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
And between V- and PG- (black probe on PG)

If we measure approx. +/- 20V (positive will be lower because of LED) we are ready to connect amp boards.

Please note that voltages are much lower than expected beacuse of lack of smoothing caps.

If you have 10uF caps installed on rectifiers board both voltages would exceed 30V DC

hi,peter

I am very interest in you amp. I want to buy a 3875 kit for my ProAc 2.5.
please give me suggestion.
thanks.
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:49 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

Thanks AndrewT,the amps dont get even remotely warm the bass drivers are quite efficient.
Waiting on some stepped attenuators before I can mount everything properley,interesting re the box layout I hadn't really thought of that.
I'm wondering as its a wooden box should the signal earth from the crossover and SG and CHG on the chipamp be connected to the power supply earth or just connected together ?
Regards
Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!