Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 20th May 2008, 04:04 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Hi,

That wire will be fine, if you don't mind working with shield.

As I mentioned previously, I never found the need for shielded wire and what I'm normally using is 26ga gold plated solid core copper. I only put teflon sleeving where the wire might come in contact with other wires, or chassis parts.I got it from a friend and he didn't disclose his source (most likely in UK)

Other alternatives can ba CAT 5 wire or Cardas uninsulated silver wire and Vampire Cast Copper Wire (available from Percy).

Kimber 19ga TCSS is also good for signal as well as DH Labs Revelation Series 23ga Solid Core Silver hook-up wire available from Partsconnexion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire.jpg (60.4 KB, 10207 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th May 2008, 04:07 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

The U channel is predrilled and components ready to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg channel.jpg (38.6 KB, 10252 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th May 2008, 04:14 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I like to use DeWalt pilot point drill bits, starting with a small hole and then increasing the size. Because of pilots, the hole locations can be wey accurate.

The other two tools are used for deburring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drill.jpg (79.4 KB, 7829 views)
Old 20th May 2008, 04:24 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I use 6-32 screws to mount the chips, which requires 7/64 tap drill. For tapping, I always use a cordless drill gun and presently, Tapmatic fluid. For more info on tapping see those posts: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...9413#post69413
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tap.jpg (76.6 KB, 7606 views)
Old 20th May 2008, 09:20 AM   #35
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As I mentioned previously, I never found the need for shielded wire and what I'm normally using is 26ga gold plated solid core copper. I only put teflon sleeving where the wire might come in contact with other wires, or chassis parts.I got it from a friend and he didn't disclose his source (most likely in UK)
Probably from here .
Old 20th May 2008, 02:56 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Could be, thanks for the link.

The spool I pictured is 0.50MM GOLD PLATED COPPER WIRE SOFT 500GR, Ref: GP0500S-500
http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/cu_gp.html
Old 20th May 2008, 04:51 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I mount RCAs and binding posts first, and what you see is Cardas hardware. I use the cheapest RCAs: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...d=6&part_id=32
and to me they sound better than more expensive types.

As to binding posts, I prefer low mass ACBP S: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...=11&part_id=83

When spade connectors are to be used, Patented Binding Posts are my first choice (CPBP CRS): http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...=10&part_id=53

Please note that isolation washers are used to separate connectors from a chassis. With RCAs, I don't use the ground tab; the wires are soldered directly to metal body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis.jpg (68.2 KB, 10610 views)
Old 20th May 2008, 07:00 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

It's time to install amp boards now.

There are two types of LM3875 chips: isolated package (LM3875TF) and non isolated package (LM3875T). With the second one, isolation pad is required when mounting on grounded metal surface.

I use only isolated chips. Although pad is not required, one needs to apply heat transfer compound to improve heat dissipation from a chip to metal surface.

Don't use too much of that paste, only enough to fill the gaps. Also, the heatsink surface needs to be smooth and all burrs sanded out. I apply paste only to the chip, thighten pretty strongly; after half an hour realease the screw and this time tighten only moderately strong. Thick aluminum washer is used to improve contact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paste.jpg (76.7 KB, 9259 views)
Old 20th May 2008, 07:04 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Please note that in this particular assembly, the boards will be mounted only by attaching the chips. Further stability is obtained by applying double sided adhesive pads, which will secure caps against chassis wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boards.jpg (63.1 KB, 9299 views)
Old 20th May 2008, 07:06 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

and that how it's all done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis.jpg (65.0 KB, 10000 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!