• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

hi,peter

i am ready to build my first 3875 amp. i got the premium kit from you last week.

i have a question about transformer i bought locally.

237VA
input 115*2
output
1)24V---4A
2)24V---4A
3)18V---1A
4)18V---1A
5)9V---1A

i just use 24V*2,4A. is it ok.
should i ues the 4A fuse?

Attachments

• p1000527-1.jpg
    p1000527-1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,121
cabling

Hi Peter and the rest of you guys here.

Can i ask which are the "ideal" type of cables to use for connecting the external PS to the amp box? Any links or part numbers will be good also.
I have some spare silver 1mm thick wire withe teflons, jackets etc. Would this do the trick?
And i spare some speakon 4 pole connectors will those be any good for the connection?

Thank you

Nick

Just posting to say thank you Daniel for the very reasonably priced kit amp boards. i completed the kit a week ago with mostly premium parts and am in the process of burning it in.

Having owned many valve amplifiers and various iterations and tweaked versions of the T amp and the Charlize in the past, i must say i am mightily impressed with the sound. Totally unlike those T-amps which could sound cold and sterile. if i was listening blind i would not for one moment have dismissed it as not being a valve amplifier of sorts.Very neutral, tonally accurate with good bass, excellent timing and rhythm and dynamically all I could ask for in a sensitive speaker set up. Although the DIY speakers are also relatively new to me i am still struggling to find a distinguishing character to the sound from the amp, and that in my book is high praise indeed. i am waiting for the parts to build the F5 next which i am very excited about.

So thank you again Daniel for that and the Shigaclone the best transport i have ever used.

Hi Peter,

I have not found in this thread the suggested wiring for the grounding of your kit in the case of a monoblock.

Following your suggestion in the case of a stereo amp I made this guess:

PG+ from rectifier board to PG+ of amp board.
PG- from rectifier board to PG- of amp board.
Using the free PG+ and PG- holes of the rectifier board connect them to the chassis ground, where also the AC main inlet ground is connected.

Is this correct?

Please forgive me for my English

Renato

Just placed my order for the premium 3875 kit this week and am getting quite excited to start building. I have been hunting for a transformer and am having a hard time. I managed to find a ready wound transformer with these specs and am wondering it it would work.
"230VA Custom Toroidal Power Transformer. 3 Outputs: 12.0V; 24.00V x 2" Can I just use the two 24V rails?
I was hoping to get a 300VA with 22v rails. But this is apparently not all that simple. Or will take several weeks
:xeye:

Mike-Toronto said:
Just placed my order for the premium 3875 kit this week and am getting quite excited to start building. I have been hunting for a transformer and am having a hard time. I managed to find a ready wound transformer with these specs and am wondering it it would work.
"230VA Custom Toroidal Power Transformer. 3 Outputs: 12.0V; 24.00V x 2" Can I just use the two 24V rails?
I was hoping to get a 300VA with 22v rails. But this is apparently not all that simple. Or will take several weeks
:xeye:

Plitron lead time is approx 10 days. The problem though is their $250 minimum order.

If you use 24V rails only on the other transformer, it should work fine too.