Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 2nd November 2008, 05:19 PM   #281
diyAudio Member

Peter you tried some MK120 instead MK132 in some of your amps? will sound diferent if use mk120 instead mk132?
Old 2nd November 2008, 05:31 PM   #282
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by samsagaz
Peter you tried some MK120 instead MK132 in some of your amps? will sound diferent if use mk120 instead mk132?
Never tried those as they were not generally available from the usual distributors, when I was developing minimized GC circuit.

From spec sheet, they look basically the same as MK132, just smaller. Could be a difference in sound, but if any, it will be rather subtle.

BTW, in a GC input shunt and feedback position MK132 were the best resistors I could find, better than Caddock TF020 or Vishays S102.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd November 2008, 09:55 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Just to show you the possibilities with implementation of those kits, here's a custom 4 channel amp that will be used in an active system.

Click the image to open in full size.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:09 PM   #284
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Peter,
I've looked through this thread and can't quite answer my own question. I have my rectifier board wired to my transformer as you instructed me earlier. I'm getting 37.8 VDC between V+ and PG+ and the same on the negative side. Is that OK?
Secondly, since I'm only using one rectifier board do I just run the two amp boards off the rectifier board in parallel?
Thanks again for all your guidance.
Mike
Old 2nd November 2008, 10:15 PM   #285
diyAudio Member

If you measure between V- and PG- you should be getting -37.8V. Everything else is correct.

An example for your second question can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1213593687
Old 3rd November 2008, 03:35 PM   #286
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default Wood or metal case?

I'm finishing up my first Audiosector chipamp. Does it make a difference if I use a metal case or a wood case, other than obvious safety issues? It seems I read somewhere that these kits should be put in a metal case.
I have a Velleman kit I built and have it in a wood (cigar box) case and it woorks fine.
Any ideas or suggestions or greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old 3rd November 2008, 05:23 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

A metal case provides shielding and heat dissipation. In many locations shielding is not critical and heat dissipation can be taken care by heatsinks. So a wooden case is certainly possible, here couple examples:

Convection cooling in a GC amp
http://www.mother-of-tone.com/index.htm
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:37 PM   #288
diyAudio Member

Rarely I do see smoke when testing newly built equipment but today it was not a case. The amp pictured few posts earlier had a series connection problem where each secondary was powering both positive and negative rail bridges, which obviously couldn't work, even though making for a very elegant layout. Now you know why I promote single rectifier boards when using single transformer In this case though, I wanted to separate multiple filter caps with bridges.

Here how it should be wired correctly

Old 8th November 2008, 02:57 AM   #289
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default Finished my First 3875!!!

I just finished my first AudioSector chip-amp. It's playing music as I type this. Sounds great so far.
One question...with no music playing and the volume up a little I get a very slight background noise, almost a hum. It goes up and down with the volume. I did the star ground as Peter advised. When I touch the RCA connectors, one or both, the noise goes away. I don't have the RCA's mounted yet, as I only have everything on a 12" X 12" board since I just finished assembling it. Any ideas?

I'm looking forward to getting this kit in a box/cabinet. I'll post some pics once I have it mounted.

Thanks for your quick answers on all my questions Peter. This is a great thread, project, hobby!

Mike
Old 8th November 2008, 04:31 AM   #290
diyAudio Member

Hi All

I'm in the final stages and have a couple of questions:

RLED/R3 - According to Ohms Law, if I figure the supply voltage to be 25v, my green LED to have a voltage of 2.1v (a guess) and I want to supply it with 15ma, then a suitable value for RLED would be 1.5K ohm?

CHG and the earth from the mains IEC get connected together at a star ground, for instance one of the bolts holding the IEC to the chassis plate?

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Hide this!Advertise here!