Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 31st October 2008, 02:56 PM   #271
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Add a third aluminium panel only if it's needed for chassis structure, otherwise reducing AC interference is not neccessary, I've built amps with chips right beside toroids and all was quiet.

It's better to keep DC connections short and AC as required.

Your setup looks good.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st October 2008, 03:23 PM   #272
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

check your chip temperature once you have it running.
Leave space for a bigger (wider + deeper) sink in case it runs too hot, or consider adding back the CPU fan (on 7Vdc to keep it quieter).
Old 31st October 2008, 05:39 PM   #273
diyAudio Member

I cant decide which kit to buy

I am using a set of Klipsch RB-81s that have a efficiency of 97db so the 3875 would work fine.

Which would sound better using a tube pre.

Premium 3875 or the 4780?

I plan on building two mono amps
Old 31st October 2008, 10:15 PM   #274
diyAudio Member

Default Rnfb premium kit question.

Hello all,

This question is for anyone who has built Peter's premium 3875 kit.

It seems there are multiple options to mount the Rnfb resistor on the board. I can place the caddock in the spot marked "Rf" on the pcb or it seems I can mount one leg on the tiny hole by pin eight and solder the other leg to pin 3.

What is the preferred method?

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2008, 10:53 PM   #275
diyAudio Member

There might not be much difference in mounting methods, but installing it directly on chip pins is preferred.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (94.3 KB, 2160 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd November 2008, 02:02 AM   #276
mikje is offline mikje  United States
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring the transformer???

I'm building my first AudioSector LM3875 Dual Mono Classic Amp. I believe it's a version B. I'll be using an Avel Lindberg Y236750.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=122-640
I looked at the spec sheet and that didn't help.

I'm a bit unsure about wiring the primary. It's got two pairs of wires. I'm in the States, so I'll be running off 115VAC. Do I only use one pair and does it matter which one? If I need to use both pairs, how do I wire them?

Secondly, Is there an advantage to using two different rectifier boards, or should I run both amps off one board? It appears that both rectifier boards can supply two channels of the needed voltage.

Thanks.
Mike
Old 2nd November 2008, 03:19 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Wiring the transformer???

Quote:
Originally posted by mikje
I'm building my first AudioSector LM3875 Dual Mono Classic Amp. I believe it's a version B. I'll be using an Avel Lindberg Y236750.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=122-640
I looked at the spec sheet and that didn't help.

I'm a bit unsure about wiring the primary. It's got two pairs of wires. I'm in the States, so I'll be running off 115VAC. Do I only use one pair and does it matter which one? If I need to use both pairs, how do I wire them?

Secondly, Is there an advantage to using two different rectifier boards, or should I run both amps off one board? It appears that both rectifier boards can supply two channels of the needed voltage.
In States you need to wire primaries in parallel (115V operation); it's been explained on page 5 of specs sheet: http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/avelspecs.pdf (blue/violet wires together and gray/brown together).

When using single transformer I always recommend a single rectifier board.
Old 2nd November 2008, 04:07 PM   #278
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Thanks Peter,
What about the secondaries? It shows them in parallel too; however, I'm thinking I run one pair to one rectifier and the other pair to the other rectifier.

Sorry if this seems like a no-brainer of a question, but since this has to do with where the power is being applied I want to make sure I do it correctly for obvious reasons.

My other question was about the rectifier boards. It appears they both have two rectified outputs. Do I need to use both boards or should I run both power outputs off one board? Since I'm using a dual output transformer, do I treat it as though it is two transformers and use the jumpers as you mention on the first page of this forum?

One more question; are the LM3875s insulated or do I need the mica pieces between them and the heatsink?

Thanks again for your help and for this project.

Mike
Old 2nd November 2008, 04:33 PM   #279
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikje

What about the secondaries? It shows them in parallel too; however, I'm thinking I run one pair to one rectifier and the other pair to the other rectifier.

Sorry if this seems like a no-brainer of a question, but since this has to do with where the power is being applied I want to make sure I do it correctly for obvious reasons.

My other question was about the rectifier boards. It appears they both have two rectified outputs. Do I need to use both boards or should I run both power outputs off one board? Since I'm using a dual output transformer, do I treat it as though it is two transformers and use the jumpers as you mention on the first page of this forum?

One more question; are the LM3875s insulated or do I need the mica pieces between them and the heatsink?
The secondaries should be used separately, as you mentioned.
And indeed, you run power to two amp boards off a single rectifier board (as it provides pads for dual outputs)

Although transformer has dual secondaries, you cannot treat them as dual ouputs as the amp uses symmetrical power supply (+/- V) which makes it single transformer. Connection diagram as here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1210694958

The LM3875 that come with my kits are insulated, so no mica pieces needed (only thermal grease).
Old 2nd November 2008, 05:10 PM   #280
Soakin' up the Sound!
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much Peter!
It's great to be able to get one of your kits (I got it from diyAudio member gychang after he bought it and decided against building it) and then be able to get such great support.

Hide this!Advertise here!