Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 20th February 2017, 10:19 PM   #2191
MartyBoy is offline MartyBoy
diyAudio Member

alright, will try this out as soone as I get the parts.

Am I crazy? no ground connection on load side? : AC115-250V 6A Unipolar Solder Lug Terminal Power Line EMI Filter CW3-6A-T | eBay
Old 25th February 2017, 11:44 AM   #2192
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no ground connection on load side?
what re you trying to say?
Old 1st March 2017, 12:44 AM   #2193
diyAudio Member

I see a connector for ground on LINE side (based on the picture on the ebay link). However, ON the schematic drawn on the part, I see a ground connection between the 2 caps in parallel near the LOAD side.

Just want to make sure that I have a proper earth ground connection If I use such a device on my AC wall connection.

Last edited by MartyBoy; 1st March 2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 8th March 2017, 10:50 PM   #2194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
attach the two resistors in series. That gives you 101r
Attach the 100r to the Hot/Flow output.
Attach the 1r to the Cold/Return output.
The headphone Hot/Flow output comes from the junction of the 100r & 1r
The headphone Cold/Return output comes from the amplifier Cold/Return.

This way the headphones see a source impedance of a tiny bit less than 1r
and the amplifier sees a load a bit higher than 100r

If the 100W amplifier were turned up to just reach clipping the 100r will dissipate less than P=28.2Vē/100r = 8W
Use at least 16W of resistor for this arrangement to get 40dB of attenuation from a 100W amplifier.

Use your own values to determine your attenuation and impedances and dissipations.
mmm ok .

My headphone jack has 1x left, 1x right, and the ground. Both my output ground are connected togheter at the jack. How do implement the 1r resistor? I'm confused...

So far, I've just connected 1x 100r to both left and right channel hot signal.

Last edited by MartyBoy; 8th March 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:16 AM   #2195
udailey is offline udailey  United States
Passive Aggressive
diyAudio Member

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions
So you nearly short out each headphone speaker with a 1R resistor? Best case scenario is that you have 32ohm headphones. Worst case is 600ohm headphones. So 28V out of the amp gives you around a quarter of a volt to drive the headphones? This won't provide enough volume.
If I wanted to drive headphones with a chip amp I would change the gain of the amp to 10 for lm3886 or lm3875. Then I would add a permanent attenuation circuit on the input. If I were super cautious I might put a 100R resistor on the output of the amp and it would be a low wattage resistor because headphones inherently contribute to the total resistance seen by the amp resulting in very low power output.
Unless you have some way to mute the amp on power up and down I would not leave my headphones plugged in during turn on and off.
Old 9th March 2017, 12:32 AM   #2196
udailey is offline udailey  United States
Passive Aggressive
diyAudio Member

Maybe something like this schematic. This schematic ignores capacitors and power supply. Just giving an idea for attenuation and gain as well as current limiting the output.
If you have a pop on turn on then it could blow the headphones if they are plugged in when you turn it on. If you turn it off with headphones plugged in you could have a problem with too much DC getting to the phones as a lot of times the amp can have large DC offset while turning off.
Attached Images
File Type: gif headphone example.GIF (3.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 9th March 2017, 08:49 AM   #2197
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
So you nearly short out each headphone speaker with a 1R resistor? Best case scenario is that you have 32ohm headphones. Worst case is 600ohm headphones. So 28V out of the amp gives you around a quarter of a volt to drive the headphones? This won't provide enough volume.
If I wanted to drive headphones with a chip amp I would change the gain of the amp to 10 for lm3886 or lm3875. Then I would add a permanent attenuation circuit on the input. If I were super cautious I might put a 100R resistor on the output of the amp and it would be a low wattage resistor because headphones inherently contribute to the total resistance seen by the amp resulting in very low power output.
Unless you have some way to mute the amp on power up and down I would not leave my headphones plugged in during turn on and off.
if 100r+1r gives too much attenuation (-40dB) then change to 100r+3r3 to give -30dB
Don't go and change the stability margins of the chipamp by reducing it's gain.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:19 PM   #2198
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Mundorf caps

Anyone used Mundorf caps in their GC? Care to give a report?
Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 08:47 AM   #2199
diyAudio Member

I can visualise 6 locations for capacitors around a chipamp implementation.
All will require selecting capacitors to suit the duty at that particular location.
Do you intend replacing all the capacitors with one type of Mundorf?
Old 20th April 2017, 09:02 AM   #2200
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

No. Just in place of the 2x 1500uf Panasonic FCs usually recommended on the amp board. Using same value of Mundorf Mlytic AG. I have them so will give them a try anyway - just curious about other's experiences of using them. Also going to try 10k Supertech caps + snubber on the rectifier board (but not at the same time )

Last edited by sthcoaster; 20th April 2017 at 09:04 AM.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructionsHide this!Advertise here!