Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 22nd July 2008, 03:35 AM   #181
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
A simple rotary switch is pictured below: it features a single deck with 12 pins and 3 poles which is good for 4 positions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swi.jpg (86.0 KB, 3724 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd July 2008, 03:47 AM   #182
diyAudio Member

Attached is a schematic for such a switch.

For stereo application we use only 2 poles, lets say A and B, which connect to pins 1-4 and 5-8 respectively. Pole C is not being used.

We only need to switch signals, the grounds are common and usually not switched.

Pin 1 connects to left channel of your first source, pin 5 to the right channel of your first source (connected to RCA inputs).

Pin 2 to left channel of second source, pin 6 to right channel of the second source, and so on for other two sources.

Pole A is a left channel output, pole B is a right channel output from a switch, and they connect to the potentiometer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (33.2 KB, 3776 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:13 PM   #183
diyAudio Member

Default Source selector

Thank you Peter, you have been very kind and detalied in your answer as always.

Just last question (I hope): where should I connect all the RCA input grounds? All left channel grounds together to the left amplifier PCB input ground and all right channel grounds together to the right amplifier PCB?

Thank you again

Renato
Old 22nd July 2008, 02:17 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Source selector

Quote:
Originally posted by northernsky
where should I connect all the RCA input grounds? All left channel grounds together to the left amplifier PCB input ground and all right channel grounds together to the right amplifier PCB?
That is correct. The amp board input ground is marked SG, this is also the point where ground from potentiometer connects.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:21 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Hello Peter,

I have been listening to my first chip amp for few days now and have been really happy and imressed with the music it is making. But i do realise that there is much potential for improvement. So, i dont just want to sit back and be content with what it has to offer, rather to keep improving it perpetually as far as i can.

Having read through the posts in this forum, i understand the following ways can improve the sound quality of this amp.

- A better case with shortest signal path and good quality connectors. (given that mine is currently housed in a large sized case, wired with ordinary wires)

- An input buffer, preferably a tube one. (there are few which seem popular here, but which one do you reckon is worth the effort and more importantly which one does not ruin the basic sound signature of this amp)

- Premium components (though i feel that it already has premium components installed as its a premium kit. Still just want to know is there is any possibility)

However, i am not very sure as to which one is better than the other or if one is good at all. I would appreciate if you could guide me here as to which one of the above is more promising and important in terms of effort to gain ratio. Also, if there are other ways which i have not yet found, please do let me know.

My speakers are Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1 and source is Squeezbox -> NOS DAC.

Cheers.
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:25 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Black Gate Capacitors!

mubeen, if I may contribute in something.I used the "premium parts" too, but I was like you.I was trying to get the most of these amps.so I decided to change the capacitors from Panasonic capacitors 1500uf (premium kit) to "Black Gate" capacitors 1000uf 50v.
The result was a huge improvement!,of course these caps cost a lot,but it was worthy all the way!.Some people do not hear a difference ,but I did an A/B test with Black Gate capacitors and they are the BIG improvement that you are looking for. Remember to let the capacitors "run" for at least a month or so.
Good Luck buddy!
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:25 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

I expressed some thoughts on further upgrades to a premium kit here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...32#post1231532

More reading on capacitor comparisons can be found in those links:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...431#post574431

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...230#post581230

Better case is certainly important if you want to get the best out of the amp. My present amp was described in this thread: The most advanced GainClone amp yet and here I pushed the GC concept as far as I thought was possible

Personally, I don't like buffers in the amp, the buffer should be placed with a source. A simple fet buffer works fine with NOS DAC, one such example is buffer described in Figure 15C in Borberly article: http://www.borbelyaudio.com/adobe/ae699bor.pdf

At the amp's input, a swtching attenuator is usually preferred (25k or so).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elma.jpg (94.5 KB, 3515 views)
Old 23rd July 2008, 07:28 AM   #188
diyAudio Member

Default By-pass capacitors on Pateks?

Peter,

As you know I have built several of the Patek style amplifiers (i.e. using BG caps) and I was wondering if there was any advantage in using by-pass caps on either the regulator (1000uF STD) or the amplifier (50uF Non polar) capacitors?

Whilst trying to sort out my multi-amping of my active speakers I started listening to a single pair of these amps powered by the Polish transformers - my Spendor BC1s have never sounded this good!

Alan
Old 23rd July 2008, 01:02 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

When all is done right, the bypass caps never seem to improve things, IMO. Sure, you may perceive certain gains, but that can be always compared to using equaliser, and while certain frequencies can accentuated, overall harmonic integrity is affected. A single cap of high quality is far better, and far less damaging to the sonic signature of a given circuit.

What I mean is, no bypass caps of any kind, whatsoever. Single cap only, but carefully chosen.
Old 23rd July 2008, 01:29 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Peter,

Thanks - I will leave all well alone.

Alan

Hide this!Advertise here!