Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 9th January 2012, 06:12 PM   #1491
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I source all those parts from a local hardware store: 1/4" brass rod, 1/4" ID water pipe and 1/4" nylon washers.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 9th January 2012, 08:05 PM   #1492
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

So its a plastic pipe that's a push fit on the switches and rod. A simple and elegant solution. Thanks Peter.
Old 10th January 2012, 10:17 PM   #1493
diyAudio Member

The pipes I'm getting locally fit nicely over the rods. Initially they were also pretty tight over the pot and selector shafts, but the recently available pipes show slightly bigger diameter. I use copper tape (over the shafts) to improve the fit.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th January 2012, 10:21 PM   #1494
diyAudio Member

Here's my most recent amp: 4 channel Patek with two channels wired for parallel operation. It's powered from 2 external supplies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (192.0 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg p2.jpg (196.8 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg p4.jpg (192.9 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg p5.jpg (196.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg p3.jpg (194.7 KB, 243 views)
Old 11th January 2012, 08:11 AM   #1495
diyAudio Member

Wow, Peter. Your chassis are just works of art. I just finished my amp, which is on a cutting board until I can get a proper chassis built. Looks like absolute hell, but it sure sounds sweet! I'm torn between just speccing out a chassis from Par-Metal, or building my own. Of course that will mean buying a mitre saw, drill press, etc.

It's hard to believe you're getting holes that clean on the back of your chassis with just the Bosch hand drill. I can't drill that clean with a hand drill to save my life - even with the DeWalt Pilot Points.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:33 PM   #1496
diyAudio Member

It's not possible to build chassis like that with a hand drill, I'm using regular drill press for all the drilling.
Old 12th January 2012, 11:14 PM   #1497
diyAudio Member

My amp is built from Peter's LM3875 Premium kit and I'm a little surprised at how good it sounds. The associated equipment is a Wavelength Brick V3 DAC, an Elekit TU-882 preamp I built a few months ago, and a pair of Zu Omen speakers.

I've had a lot of different amps connected to the Omens, mostly SETs and SEPs, but also a few solid state amps, including an old Adcom GFA-5500 and a Bel Canto C5i, which is a Class D amp. I have to say that the gainclone is quite remarkable in this company. It exhibits very authoritative bass in particular, and also a very lively sound. I would say the Bel Canto is as lively and detailed, but lacking in bass authority compared to the gainclone. I wonder if this seemingly powerful bass could have something to do with the rather large transformer I'm using (Antek 400VA).

Also, the Omens are extremely efficient, so the amp runs very cool compared to my initial tests with the small Magneplanars. The amp also sounded very good with the ribbon speakers, but I was always conscious of not pushing it too hard because it would become very hot.

More than my other amps, the gainclone seems to benefit from good power conditioning. Could that have something to do with the sheer simplicity of the circuit? The difference between powering the amp from a standard surge protector and from a mid-range Furman is obviously audible.

Last edited by autoformer; 12th January 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 13th January 2012, 11:13 AM   #1498
diyAudio Member

Many thanks Peter my kit arrived this morning; time to get busy.
Old 16th January 2012, 06:56 PM   #1499
diyAudio Member

I've made a start. First checks were good with just the power supply connected I was getting +35.3vdc and -35.6vdc. With one pcb hooked up to the p/s and ouput with the input wires not yet connected to the LDR volume control and the second board also wired the same but without the plus and minus supply wires connected the light bulb tester glows brightly. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2012, 07:05 PM   #1500
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Do you have a good picture?

Hide this!Advertise here!