Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 141 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 19th March 2011, 04:11 PM   #1401
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Yes, power on the preamp first, then the amp. Turning off with reversed sequence.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 19th March 2011, 04:22 PM   #1402
ss007 is offline ss007  United States
diyAudio Member

I prefer if possible to have only one power switch on my integrated amp. This does not leave me with the ability to do as you suggested. Any other possibilities?
Old 19th March 2011, 04:30 PM   #1403
diyAudio Member

Leave the preamp on permanently.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 19th March 2011, 04:40 PM   #1404
diyAudio Member

That's an interesting idea. So if the power is connected to the wall the preamp is powered up. The amp turns on with the switch.

I take it there is not a good way to do it with some kind of filtering.
Old 19th March 2011, 04:55 PM   #1405
diyAudio Member

Some preamps have relay at the output that delays signal connection until circuit stabilizes after turning on. You could build such a circuit if not present but I don't think it's worth the hassle, just keep it on all the time.
Old 19th March 2011, 05:04 PM   #1406
diyAudio Member

Ahhh! That explains why my old Sumo electra Plus waits 12 seconds before the preamp becomes active. I can hear the relay click.

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the hardest to see.
Old 19th March 2011, 07:32 PM   #1407
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss007 View Post
Ahhh! That explains why my old Sumo electra Plus waits 12 seconds before the preamp becomes active. I can hear the relay click.

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the hardest to see.
That doesn't make sense. The pre needs to be on before the amp Well, there is some reason the preamp waits to click in.
Old 26th March 2011, 02:41 AM   #1408
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I finished my GC. I attached some pictures of the first DIY GC. My bother helped me much in doing the case.
We also looked around for a pair of bookself speakers and finally decided to choose JBL2080 to start our hi-fi listening. Actually, there are some other brand name old pairs that the seller introduced: MS, B&W, Altec Lansing, Audit HRM-2, Phillips. All are old but in very good condition. Very like to listen to Audit but as budget reason and we both agreed that should begin with some "beginning level" first. C'est voila, JBL2080 was picked.
Together with GC, it immediately became our buddy everytime we are at home. Listen to music is naturally and totally relax. The bass of JBL2080 is very comfortable, we love it. And high is clear, crisp, And GC (thanks to premium kit from Peter) and JBL2080 is like a mom with two daughters wandering on the beach when the sun is going down. Beautiful sounding. My brother comments that listen to music is now not tired and we can do it hours and hours, days and days. No wonder someone out there pay much effort for better and better sound.

We are enjoying our music and time.
Thank you very much, Peter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 15.jpg (193.0 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 16.jpg (248.4 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 22.jpg (237.0 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 24.jpg (164.0 KB, 404 views)
Old 26th March 2011, 12:34 PM   #1409
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

the positioning of your speakers hopefully is only temporary - cause this is the worst position possible (well behind a thick curtain is even worse...)
Old 26th March 2011, 04:00 PM   #1410
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice build. I do agree with lohk. Pull them a few feet out from the wall. Even 4 ft might be good. Put yourself at the apex of triangle with all sides equal to 9ft. Some folks do 6ft. Depends on size of your room I guess. Turn the speakers inward so that the apex now crosses a few feet in front of you. Play with this apex distance from your face. This is a good place to start.
Uriah

Hide this!Advertise here!