Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions - Page 129 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Audio Sector

Audio Sector Kits & PC boards from AudioSector

Old 21st October 2010, 02:24 PM   #1281
diyAudio Member

Hello all

Iam finally starting my first gainclone diy project, actually, my first diy project at all. Iam gonna build a integrated dual mono gainclone based on Peter's premium LM 3875 premium kit. To make it more interesting, it will have a digital optical input for my tuner and a build-in Ipod docking station for my ...eeerrr... Iphone. For the digital input I have in mind the AMB Y1. For the docking station a standard apple docking thingie. Those two need power as wel obviously. Should this affect my choice of transformers? Having a polish girlfriend, I was planning to go with peter's suggestion of two polish
TS300VA PRI:115V SEC:2x22V for AUDIO (no idea why that got so big)
from the Polish Special for audio torroid builders.

Anyway: same transformers? (Iam going to figure out later how to get that power from it, first things first, step by step)

Suggestions anyone? (maybe even for coice of digital input / docking station)

Kind regards

Erik
Old 21st October 2010, 02:53 PM   #1282
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I would add windings on those transformers for any additional circuits. That's what I did with an amp having built in DAC: AudioSector-chip amp kits, dacs, chassis
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st October 2010, 03:07 PM   #1283
diyAudio Member

Default thum when powering off

Hi all
I have this 'thum' sound when powering off my gain clone (Peter's gainclone). Will it destroy the speaker in long run?
Thanks
Old 21st October 2010, 03:13 PM   #1284
diyAudio Member

Did you check DC offset? Normally, the amp does not produce any thump. There must be something wrong with your setup.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st October 2010, 03:21 PM   #1285
diyAudio Member

Yes, the dc offset is about 82mv. The 'thump' is when switching off, not when switching on.
Old 21st October 2010, 03:59 PM   #1286
diyAudio Member

82mV is normal, do you get a thump when no source is connected and volume is down?
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:51 AM   #1287
diyAudio Member

I just checked. Yes, a bigger 'thump', even when switching 'on' as well. And while the cable is unattached to the gainclone, the buzzing sound returns. I thought it (the buzzing sound problem) was solved. This really surprised me. If the preamp is connected to the gainclone, no buzz, only minor hum from transformer and after about 20 minutes or so, the hum is not audible, unless you focus your attention and get very very close to it. What would be causing this? Thanks for help.
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:53 AM   #1288
diyAudio Member

The cable needs to be attached to the amp, otherwise the buzzing is normal.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:02 AM   #1289
diyAudio Member

Oh...ok. I connect the preamp cable back and without turning on the preamp, the 'thump' is still there when I switch off the gainclone. It's been like this all the while and I thoughtit was normal. My diy Aleph5 has this problem and forum members said it was normal.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:46 AM   #1290
diyAudio Member

It isn't normal with GC and shouldn't be happening with Aleph 5 neither. However, it may be hard to find what's causing this.

Hide this!Advertise here!