Nelson Pass's BBA-3 Front End

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have two F4 amps that I'd like to use as balanced mono blocks to drive a pair of the Acorn ESLs Acorn Electrostatic Loudspeaker Kit

Balanced F4 mono blocks will each do up to 100w into 8 ohms.
As the Acorns are 86db and my room is only 12 ft x 14 ft (and my hearing is very sensitive) would the F4 blocks drive the Acorns well enough to produce the 35 to 30Hz bass response that designer Rob Mackinlay claims for them? But I would need to confirm this before spending $$$$ on the mostly pre-built Acorn kits.

In any case, I still need the BBA-3 preamp to drive my other F4 in my bi-amped system. The problem is that I don't have quite enough theoretical knowledge and zero time anyway to build any such line stage. Anyone willing and able to build the BBA-3 for me? If yes, can a balanced/unbalanced mode switch be added, along with the XLR and RCA I/O jacks? Please post or pm if interested. Attached is the BBA-3 circuit that Nelson had kindly circulated for us. The BBA-3 uses +/- 30V linear supplies. Thanks.

Attachments

• Nelson's BBA-3 Balanced IO stage.jpg
    Nelson's BBA-3 Balanced IO stage.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 807
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.