MOSFET heating on my amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished the second revision of my class D amplifier (schematic) but there is a lot of MOSFET heating. If I remove the 0.1uF caps from the power supply there is less heating but more overshoot.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

High and Low side gate signals with power supply caps:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

High and Low side gate signals without power supply caps:

There is also a good deal of hissing when the input is muted (this was not in revision 1).

Anyone have any ideas why this would be happening? Should I use a larger cap on the power supply (maybe 1uF) connection to the FET's? I put a FM radio right next to the amp (withen 6 inches) and get no interference. When I actually rest the FM radio on top of the amp it interfears a lot (even makes the digital dial jump around??).

When the power supply caps are removed it seems that just one of the low side mosfets gets hot fast, the rest are ok.

Well I have let it run for 6 hours with a 19V supply at 6 ohms and it is cool (only the inductors are a bit warm). It sounds nice as a sub amp, for mids and highs it is ok, no real hissing. Does not seem to cause any FM interference unless radio is within 2 inches (and parallel to the doughnut face) of the inductors. The output is not very nice looking on the scope 2V p-p noise on the signal.

Scope image at 5V/div with a 100hz test signal input into amp:

I think changing the output inductors should clean this up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.