Stylus run in time??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IVe been trying to get a turntable FAQ on google, and just cant find anything , in the short time i have on here, im just wondering as i have bought a new stylus, goldring 1042 for my Rega planar 3, how long will it take for the stylus to run in??

tracking and weght, anti skate is all optimum, just sounds a bit thin, somewhere i read run in was about 50 hours, i hope it will not be so bright , ina few hours

thanks andy

Hi,
I didn't know there was wear in time.

I have experienced wear out time.

Is it due to stylus polishing?
or stylus radius flattening?
or stylus hinge damping?
or stylus hinge compliance?

Compliance would be analagous to speaker driver surround compliance (VAS) changing as the driver wears in. I had a speaker (AE1s) that gradually came on song over a period of a couple of months.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wouldn't think more than a couple of hours based on the accelerations present - I assume suspension compliance would settle in very quickly.

50hrs is a significant % of wear out time, in many cases they don't make it much beyond 1000hrs of playing time. Not to mention that even cartridges sitting around deteriorate due to compliant suspension components degrading due to exposure to air and air pollution.

Does this cartridge sound significantly different than what it replaced?

Here is the place for vinyl playback:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/index.php

Hi,

Run-in time for cartridges can vary with make. It can take 35-50 hours and longer. A new cartridge should still sound ok, but may need adjustment to the VTA (vertical tracking angle) to achieve a balanced sound. While running in further adjustments to VTA may be necessary. Initial setup is usually with the arm tube horizontal ,or parallel to the record. Rega arms are designed to have correct VTA when used with Rega cartridges. Other cartridge makes may need adjustment of VTA. A thin sound can be corrected by lowering the arm pillar so that the arm tube slopes downwards towards the pillar by a small amount, determined by ear.
The Rega Planar3 arm does not have adjustable VTA (I have read), but an accessory is available, at a price.
As a temporary measure you could place a piece of cardboard or other material, the same size as the platter and with a spindle hole, under the record to raise the arm at the front, to get the same effect.

Hi guys

firstly ive messed with the counterweight a tad, and the controls(anti skate, Tracking force), and everything seems to be working just fine. It was an initial small time running it in. The sound has changed somewhat over the course of 4 hours. What this is due to i dont know.

I know that a styulus is degrading , from the first rotation.

Also, this is an upgrade stylus for my Goldring G1022GX Cart, you can use all the stylus's from the golding 1000 range (1006 - 1042) , as the bodys are all the same.

Thanks for that billabong, i posted at the same time as you and missed that:) Good stuff. i may get my freind who has lots of instruments to set it up, he will know more what hes doing.

thanks for all your help guys

Hi Andy,

The only instrument you need to set VTA is your ears.
Select a record with high frequencies that you enjoy and are particular about, and therefore likely to be sensitive to ( I find Joan Sutherlands beautiful high notes very suitable).
Adjust the VTA until the sound is to your liking.
Experience at critical listening is an advantage and comes with experience, but if you listen intently you should achieve a good result.
I find that if the VTA is set to reproduce the highs spot on , the lows are also reproduced correctly. There is nothing more annoying than badly reproduced high frequencies.

hi, emperor.

Some so-so styli need additional polish, which is ¨provided¨ by playing old vinyl. Conaisseurs recommend some 50/100 hours playing less valuable vinyl.

In some cases -and in my experience with cartridges-, the effect is very apparent. I remember some audiotechnica changing it´s sound only after 20/30 lp´s.
Aftermarket or cheap styli benefit the most of this ¨regrinding¨.

Advanced stylus profiles -shibata, VanDenHul, etc- , and good quality conical styli -ie: Denon- usually involve carefully polished diamonds, so they not need additional polishing.

Cheers

I always understood that this was not really polishing of the stylus, but the suspension of the cantilever breaking in. The rubber mount that damps the cantilever breaks in with time. My new Goldring Eroica took about 30 hours of playing until the bass response was what you should expect. It was not a subtle difference from the new cart to the broken in one. As the suspension loosens up you get more bottom end and a slight improvement in details. At least this has been my experience.

Dave

yes, Dave, there are lots of opinions and experiences -some of them verging in the bizarria- concerning vinyl playback...
The suspension break-in is a valid argument, but the diamond tip itself suffers some kind of additional polish. Some experts say that the effect is very noticeable in the first 100 hours or so; then the process reach a plateau, and in the end the stylus itself begins to go south due to wear.

As I said, more advanced tips are inmune to this.

Please, check out http://www.micrographia.com/projec/projapps/viny/viny0300.htm

Very good photos and info. And apparently, the author of the document is very knowledgeable.

Cheers.

You´re welcome, Dave...

Some people gives knolewdge for free; we must be grateful to them for that. And Internet is a beautiful thing...

I remember some 15/ 20 years ago: it was practically impossible to obtain such info... so good vinyl replay management were, almost always, in the hand of a bunch of experts -dealers, reviewers, etc- : some kind of audio oligarchy... and they would not pass their knowledge to you very easily
:snooty:
I remember the first time -ca.1981, so I was seventeen- when I entered in a hi end audio shop, asking for a MC cartridge...
The dealer, in condescending tone, asked me: ¨...tell me, young man, what turntable do you have¨
I mumbled something japanese, direct drive...
The man said ¨naaaa...¨. His nose was so high, you could see his sinus!
I showed him a finger, and went away.
Since then, I stayed with MM. I believe is some kind of early trauma of my forming years... :clown:

hahahaha. That is very funny. I have had many a similar experience. It was very rewarding when I went into one of the local Hi-fi stores and asked talked to the owner for a while. He asked me what I had for equipment. When I told him I had NAD silver line, he asked me how many times it had been sent back for repair. Against his prejudice, my answer was never. 6 years, rarely turned off, no problems. The funny part to me was that my DIY speakers and mid-fi electronics sounded better than his high end Conrad Johnson and big Maggies. System synergy and proper setup. Two things he did not have. It is too often that those with much knowledge and experience scoff at things they have no exposure to and in the end ruin a customer for life.

DaveM

It is too often that those with much knowledge and experience scoff at things they have no exposure to and in the end ruin a customer for life

Oh yes... So I decided to wash my pain away in whisky... then I became a drunken hobo, living on the streets and suffering for madness raptures at the mere look of a turntable...
But then came the CD, and I was cured ¨and my heart was at ease¨:devilr:

Some pedigree equipment is very fiddly about sinergy, and NAD´s are very musical and competent stuff: no surprise that the owner of the shop was so confused. I have a NAD cassette deck from the mid eighties that sounds superb. I repeat myself: superb!-...
I tape for some friends very often, and some of then are rediscovering the joy of cassette technology.
Cassette was a lowly medium, but with care it can sound wonderful. And has an aura that current portable media lacks.

There´s a lot of snobbery in audio, but the great thing if you´re into diy is that you can manage to make very correct equipment -and suited to your fancy taste-, and the pride (and save of money) that such a thing brings is huge!

There´s a lot of snobbery in audio, but the great thing if you´re into diy is that you can manage to make very correct equipment -and suited to your fancy taste-, and the pride (and save of money) that such a thing brings is huge!

So true. I am presently working on a Pass X-BOSOZ, a Pass AX (should be about 120 watts), and have the workings for a turntable in process. This hobby is far too rewarding for me. The pleasure of watching people's faces when a portable CD player into a chip amp makes most commercial systems sound like junk. :cool:

I actually have an old akai reel to reel that I picked up with 500 (yes count them) 500 recorded tapes. All jazz and classical. I figure there are about 1200 albums (some were recorded at 3 3/4 and have 4 albums per tape) They still sound good and the price could not be beat. $300 for the lot.:)

Anyway. I will now stop this off topic, yet relevant post.

DaveM

curioser and curioser...

...cause I have an Akai open reel too -but very few tapes, so the machine is not seen much use this days-.
And I´m working in a turntable too -with lots of recycled parts- including a beautiful arm wand EPA-501h Technics whose base was missing, so I made one plenty of little ball races that I took from an old precision instrument-...
I´ll post some photos in the future.

Regards

PS: 500 pre-recorded tapes... what a lucky man! :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.