Stylus run in time?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2007, 02:10 PM   #11
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that link. That is a great bit on knowledge. Clearly that guy truly knows what he is doing from more than practical experience. Very cool to see those shots of the light reflecting off the polished spots on the sides of the stylus.

Dave
Old 13th April 2007, 03:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

You´re welcome, Dave...

Some people gives knolewdge for free; we must be grateful to them for that. And Internet is a beautiful thing...

I remember some 15/ 20 years ago: it was practically impossible to obtain such info... so good vinyl replay management were, almost always, in the hand of a bunch of experts -dealers, reviewers, etc- : some kind of audio oligarchy... and they would not pass their knowledge to you very easily

I remember the first time -ca.1981, so I was seventeen- when I entered in a hi end audio shop, asking for a MC cartridge...
The dealer, in condescending tone, asked me: ¨...tell me, young man, what turntable do you have¨
I mumbled something japanese, direct drive...
The man said ¨naaaa...¨. His nose was so high, you could see his sinus!
I showed him a finger, and went away.
Since then, I stayed with MM. I believe is some kind of early trauma of my forming years...
Old 13th April 2007, 03:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

hahahaha. That is very funny. I have had many a similar experience. It was very rewarding when I went into one of the local Hi-fi stores and asked talked to the owner for a while. He asked me what I had for equipment. When I told him I had NAD silver line, he asked me how many times it had been sent back for repair. Against his prejudice, my answer was never. 6 years, rarely turned off, no problems. The funny part to me was that my DIY speakers and mid-fi electronics sounded better than his high end Conrad Johnson and big Maggies. System synergy and proper setup. Two things he did not have. It is too often that those with much knowledge and experience scoff at things they have no exposure to and in the end ruin a customer for life.

DaveM
Old 13th April 2007, 04:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is too often that those with much knowledge and experience scoff at things they have no exposure to and in the end ruin a customer for life
Oh yes... So I decided to wash my pain away in whisky... then I became a drunken hobo, living on the streets and suffering for madness raptures at the mere look of a turntable...
But then came the CD, and I was cured ¨and my heart was at ease¨

Some pedigree equipment is very fiddly about sinergy, and NAD´s are very musical and competent stuff: no surprise that the owner of the shop was so confused. I have a NAD cassette deck from the mid eighties that sounds superb. I repeat myself: superb!-...
I tape for some friends very often, and some of then are rediscovering the joy of cassette technology.
Cassette was a lowly medium, but with care it can sound wonderful. And has an aura that current portable media lacks.

There´s a lot of snobbery in audio, but the great thing if you´re into diy is that you can manage to make very correct equipment -and suited to your fancy taste-, and the pride (and save of money) that such a thing brings is huge!
Old 13th April 2007, 06:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There´s a lot of snobbery in audio, but the great thing if you´re into diy is that you can manage to make very correct equipment -and suited to your fancy taste-, and the pride (and save of money) that such a thing brings is huge!
So true. I am presently working on a Pass X-BOSOZ, a Pass AX (should be about 120 watts), and have the workings for a turntable in process. This hobby is far too rewarding for me. The pleasure of watching people's faces when a portable CD player into a chip amp makes most commercial systems sound like junk.

I actually have an old akai reel to reel that I picked up with 500 (yes count them) 500 recorded tapes. All jazz and classical. I figure there are about 1200 albums (some were recorded at 3 3/4 and have 4 albums per tape) They still sound good and the price could not be beat. $300 for the lot.

Anyway. I will now stop this off topic, yet relevant post.

DaveM
Old 13th April 2007, 07:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default curioser and curioser...

...cause I have an Akai open reel too -but very few tapes, so the machine is not seen much use this days-.
And I´m working in a turntable too -with lots of recycled parts- including a beautiful arm wand EPA-501h Technics whose base was missing, so I made one plenty of little ball races that I took from an old precision instrument-...
I´ll post some photos in the future.

Regards

PS: 500 pre-recorded tapes... what a lucky man!

Hide this!Advertise here!