Pioneer PL-41 bearing help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• pioneer pl-41 pg 10.jpg
    pioneer pl-41 pg 10.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 123
PL-41

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this posting. I used the information to service the bearing on my PL-41. I used 1/8 in sheet Delrin stock instead of the Delrin rod. I cut out a little square of the material, nibbled off the corners and inserted it into the cup. My bearing had two of the spacer washers; I scrapped them since the 1/8 sheet raised the platter to the correct height. After running the table for less than 15 minutes, the dimple appeared in the Delrin. I see no need to machine in a deeper dimple.
My table still needs work however. After running for 5 minutes, the motor exibits a ticking noise....about 8 times/second. I have taken the bearings apart, cleaned and re-lubed with Singer Sewing Machine oil and bicycle chain oil. The problem still remains. Do you all have any ideas on what could cause the motor ticking noise?

delrin guitar pick

Dear jeeves:
The guitar pick is much thinner than the original thrust plate. I do however think it will work provided you shim to get closer to the original thickness. If you don't get close the the right thickness, the spindle will ride too low in the sleeve. You can give it a try because you don't have much to loose. More spacers may cause more problems. On one of my earlier rebuilds, the spacers would turn inside the cup and the sound was audible. I now tack the delrin (no more spacers) down with black RTV.
Most posts on this topic do mention Delrin as the material of choice but as djkieras points out, the original material was much softer than Delrin, some think it was nylon.
Dear pajanda1;
Thank you for offering up a motor. I did find a PL-50 motor for this table that worked with just a few changes to the mount.......and just two weeks ago another PL-41 motor in very good condition.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.