Pioneer PL-41 bearing help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

Here's what I did, and what I suggest:

1. Go to www.mcmastercarr.com.
Order part # 8576K194.

This will get you a 1 foot long piece of 7/8" delrin rod.
(this is the shortest piece that they carry.)
It cost me $7.75 including shipping.

2. Take it to any machine shop and have them true 1 end, and then have them slice off as many .083" pieces as you want.

3. There will be a slight protrusion in the center. Sand that off so that you have a smooth surface.
Take a center punch and create a small dimple in the center, about 1mm in diameter. (easy does it here, a slight tap with the hammer will suffice)

4. Reassemble, lube, and enjoy...I'm sure you read the previous posts but it wouldn't hurt to re-read..a lot of valuable info is contained there.

OB

I am using a heavy Lenco platter/spindle for experiments with a diy experimental TT. Mounted it on a chunk of 62mm MDF. But when u turn the platter i hear noise from the bearing, also after cleaning and filling with 10W40 motoroil. After filling it with ball bearing grease it is silent for 30 sec, and then starts again. Which oil would be best? I think between 10W40 and grease in so 30W40 or so and "self filling" between small gap. Silicon grease?

Trouble in Paradise...

Bearing issues are resolved, but having a terrible skating problem at the lead-in groove. (OK when cued 1/2" in from record edge)

Platter is level in all directions.

(Stock) tone arm is parallel to record when in playing position.

Using Grado Black cartridge set to spec @ 1.5 grams.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem, and I am not sure that I really solved it. It seems that different cartridges/stylus have an effect on this. I am currently using a Shure M44C and it doesn’t happen but when I use another it has a tendency to skate as described. I wrote it off as the tone arm no being set up correctly (from what I read this particularly hard to do on this model). I recently just came across the user manual for this table and hope to revisit the set up again. There is a thread over at AudioKarma about this, but it seems that the site is down right now.

Not sure if this is a solution for you… but you are not alone!

Hope this helps

Thanks for the responses, guys,

I double-checked the lead wires, they are ok.

I am using the stock tone arm, and the bearings feel fine.
(Changing arms is not an option for me)

95% of the record tracks fine, only the lead-in and first few grooves skate when the tonarm is cued down, no matter how gently I do this.

I found some specs online on this table and the cartridge that was original to this table tracked at 2-4 grams...I am at 1.5 grams.

Wondering if I add some weight to the headshell, rebalance back to 1.5 grams if I have accomplished anything (adding mass to the cartridge end of the arm) or would that be a waste of time?

Seems I read that someone had applied some anti-skate by giving the wires at the bottom of the arm a twist, but that sounds a little rinky-dink to me.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

OB

P.S. I believe the table is running a little fast judging by ear, I have not yet verified with a strobe. Looks like I may be reducing the diameter of the motor pully slightly, but that's another project.

El Gippo replies

These old turntable had arms that were fairly high mass; basically you want the counterweight at the back of the arm as close to the pivot-point as possible ( ie, where the bearings balance the arm )

If the counterweight is hanging way out the back of the Arm, this could cause the mistracking you're experiencing

You could try adding weight to the rear counterweight, and move the counterweight inwards ( towards the cartridge) as far as possible

The closer the counterweight is to the arms pivot point, the less the arm will be inclined to mistrack

http://www.japanparts.com/Audio/empireev1.JPG

Link above to an extreme example which us a super-lightweight carbon fibre arm ( Infinity Black Widow ) with a heavy-as-an-anvil ( 37gm ) Ikeda cartridge on an Empire 208

Arm and cartridge are a total mismatch; *but* add the fishing weights and tracks like a trooper, the counterweight force now dropping down below the level of the cartridge body helps tracking too ( ! )

Sooo: experiment with adding weights., the ole "fishing weight on a string" trick is completely reversible and costs pennies

Also: Check that the arm headshell sweeps parallel to the LP for the whole length of play; if the arm wand and/or headshell isn't square to the platter that could also cause mistracking on the lead-in groove. Putting small washers as shims under the screws that hold the arm onto the turntable + carefully measuring, is the cure here, or adjusting the headshell so it is parallel

Check your platter mat is flat too; some of these old rubber platter mats shrink in the middle and stay raised at the edge and that can cause problems with lead-in

I Always use a record weight or center clamp to hold the LP down; that's another thing that might help

El Gypsie

El Gypsie

Thank you for your detailed suggestions, especially the one about moving the counterweight closer to the pivot point.

Another symptom was when I lifted the arm with the cueing lever, I would get kind of a wild teeter-totter effect.

So what you suggest about the pivot point makes a lot of sense.

I will experiment and post my results when time permits.

Thanks again, El Gypsie, you are a valuable source of information.

OB

tubee said:
I am using a heavy Lenco platter/spindle for experiments with a diy experimental TT. Mounted it on a chunk of 62mm MDF. But when u turn the platter i hear noise from the bearing, also after cleaning and filling with 10W40 motoroil. After filling it with ball bearing grease it is silent for 30 sec, and then starts again. Which oil would be best? I think between 10W40 and grease in so 30W40 or so and "self filling" between small gap. Silicon grease?

I mixed the oil with grease, now it's silent @ 33 1/3. When i turn the platter by hand at a higher speed it starts to make noises sometimes. A small unbalance has to be adjusted in the platter.
I managed to drive the platter very smooth with a small AC motor and a flexible filament for knitting into socks as belt! The motor is for 1st experiments, have also a dc motor, chip controlled from a floppy drive to try out.

Will build a lineair arm like avatar on the left. Bearings from an old pc HD.

Well, I am quite discouraged at this point.

I took El Gypsie's advice and did the following:

Checked all the alignment issues that he addressed.

Checked the mat for flatness.

Most importantly, added fishing weights as close as possible to the pivot point so that the original counterweight is also as close to the pivot point as possible.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same skating problem at the lead-in grooves, rendering the turntable unusable at this point.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OB

Hmm; increase the tracking force

what Cartridge are you using? Do you know how to align the cartridge correctly??

You need a tool like this:

http://www.turntablebasics.com/images/align.jpg

from www.turntablebasics.com ( Good guy! )

Worst case scenario, you might need a new tonearm ( doubt it tho' )

Most Cartridges will track between 1.5 and 2.5 grams, do you have a way of measuring your tracking weight?

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/9f/08/895a_2.JPG

Search: stylus force gauge ( Net and /or on Ebay, SHURE make a good one )

Always track more heavy than lighter; you can actually do more damage to your records with too light tracking than too heavy ( within reason! )

If you want to get really carried away, there are some test records available that test tracking and channel seperation , phase , Pink Noise, (SHURE + various others )

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIO-SYSTEM-TE...212QQihZ019QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best!

El Gippo, the Electric Gypsy * ZAP!*

Hi

Using Grado Black cartridge.

Set at 1.5 grams using Shure SFG-2 stylus foce gauge.
(how many grams max would you recommend?)

Cartridge is properly aligned using Reko-Cut protractor.

Platter is level in all directions.

When the tonearm is cued up and given a little finger tap, it goes toward the center of the record way easier than towards the outside edge....

No binding in bearing either direction.

What do you think?

Thanks,
OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.