DIY TT on the cheap with used parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have started gathering the parts to build a TT on the cheap with as many off the shelf parts as possible. lacking a shop with lathe, mill, surface grinder, etc I will be limiting the project. The emphasis will be on proven technology used by successful commercial designs, stout and cheap parts, foregoing exotic materials for esthetics when the superiority of a design or material are largely theoretical, especially when filtered through cheap cartridges and tonearms. So far i have a base/plinth started. Walnut base, MDF subchassis with padouk arm board and black corian base plate bonded together with epoxy. Used Thorens TP-16 tonearm. used Grado Gold cartridge.
Mcmaster Carr P/N# of interest:
169K28, 8492A287, 8888K101, 2934T16, 9528K19

Looking for good used platter, subplatter, and AC motor that are reasonably priced.
I'm attracted to the acrylic platter for the Rega.

Attachments

• cheap_tt.gif
    cheap_tt.gif
    68 KB · Views: 587
A small "shaded pole" motor from an old electric heater may work especially if it has more than one speed. Then you just get a pulley that will get you all speeds. You definitely need to have 33 1/3 and 45 rpm available. Possibly 78 if you have any 78's. Are you doing belt drive or direct drive? The woodwork is very nice. It reminds me of my AR. The AR didn't have a speed switch. It has a dual pulley. You put the belt around the small diameter for 33 1/3, larger diameter for 45.

Rega parts would be nice. I have a couple of motors from Garrard and Lenco. Along with a Lenco Platter (heavy) bearing assy (amazing condition given the age) and tonearm. Also a Thorens TP16 tonarm. Will repalce be4arings with ABEC7 from McMaster-Carr. Drilling the black marble is a challenge. I have a few diamond bits and hole saws. Lots of water and steady as she goes! Will investigate the Shaded Pole Motor thing. How about a Hall-Effect transistor to turn the motor on and off as the tonearm is brought off the lift position?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.