Possible constructionfailure with Grado cart? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Triumph is offline Triumph  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Possible constructionfailure with Grado cart?

Somehow I got hold on a broken Grado F1 cartridge (blue doted). As a technical teacher I am always curios how things works so I took the Grado apart. Doing so I discovered that one inner coilcore and a contact pin are almost touching each other. It is impossible to put a 0.05mm shim between it. The windings from this core are connected to this pin so if they touches it is from the same coil.

I measured it and in this case they have no electrical contact but I discovered that a slight bending of the cartridge (maybe possible by mounting it on the arm and tighten the mountingscrews) it will make contact. I really don’t know if it will have effect on the sound, and I don’t know how the construction is with other types of Grado cartridges.

Probably nothing because Grado checks every cartridge but I think its worth while to mentioned it on this forum, because by mounting it is possible to make contact. This “failure” was easy to avoid by using one shorter connecting pin.

Btw smart design moving iron! The use of a big and strong magnet and the use of big coils are possible without heavy moving mass and still a high output!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grado2.jpg (15.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 3rd March 2007, 09:05 PM   #2
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Possible constructionfailure...

Hi Triumph

Have you checked the length of that touching pin? Is is not a bit longer to purposely touch the coil core for earth?

What else is wrong with the cart, open circuit?

bulgin
Old 3rd March 2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Triumph is offline Triumph  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Length is the same as other pins. Not ment to be earth connection. Never heard the cart because it was damaged before I've got it.
Old 11th March 2007, 05:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

coil wires are laquered,so there must be no short even if it touches other wires or pins
Old 11th March 2007, 05:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oops,just now saw the photo!!!Are those pins for the same line?If yes,then you shouldn't worry about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!