Magnetic turntable bearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This are more details with the plans.

You can see the coup attached to the bearing, the axle inside with the upper magnet, and finally the turntable working. The original platter weight 3Kg, I make a form in plaster and with this I make a mold or external copy in the same material I melt 30kg of lead and I glue to the platter bell. After that I machined in a turn machine and balanced it. The weight rise until 26Kg, to much. Recently I remachined that until a weight of 16kg and balanced again.
I polish the axle and not any rumble at all. I conserve yet the vacuum original properties from the original platter (the axle is perforated) and I add the property aircushion with magnetic suspension. ;)

Attachments

• 2012-11-08 18.51.39.jpg
    2012-11-08 18.51.39.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 2012-11-08 18.45.30.jpg
    2012-11-08 18.45.30.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 994
  • 2012-11-08 18.51.57.jpg
    2012-11-08 18.51.57.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 953
  • 2012-11-08 18.56.42.jpg
    2012-11-08 18.56.42.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 948
  • 2012-11-08 19.16.28.jpg
    2012-11-08 19.16.28.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 944
  • 2012-11-08 19.16.59.jpg
    2012-11-08 19.16.59.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 437
  • Copa de latón RX1500.jpg
    Copa de latón RX1500.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 556
  • eje modificado RX1500.jpg
    eje modificado RX1500.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 537
Ring magnet source

There is a source of ring magnets that seem to have been overlooked here.

Microwave ovens.

The "magnetron", (What we call the vacuum tube that produces the microwaves here in the US), is easily removed from a broken Microwave oven, and each Magnetron uses two ring magnets. They are quite powerful, and easily removed from the Magnetron. Usually, however, one ring magnet is larger than the other.

If you don't mind finding a source if junked microwaves, you should have a virtually inexhaustable source of nice ring magnets.
Oh, and the north and south poles are situated on the faces, giving you quite a repelling force.

Your easiest source of ring magnets, are blown ( or new ) bass or PA loudspeakers. The description of the "Platine Verdier"

published in l'Audiophile in the late 80's, called for large loudspeaker mag's encased in turned polepieces to increase the field strength.
I started this project many years ago, but it came to a halt when I could not find suitable magnets without buying new and expensive speaker units - as I live in rather rural areas, my sources of "interesting scrap and junk" are quite limited.
If your platter is of reasonable weight, this could be fairly easy. .the Verdier platter I started was over 10 kg's....

EDIT: the bearing for the Verdier, was essentially a combination of the magnet cushion and an inverted bearing, as the platter was also resting on a steel ball on the top of the steel shaft, to take a minor part of the load. Personnally, I think the idea of no true radial bearing is totally futile, given our demands for platter stability.

Is there anyone that tried the magnetic link below, it looks similar to Clearaudio CMB Bearing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Custom Maglev bearing for turntable | eBay

This one is a recently developed magnetic platter system by Clearaudio.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Clearaudio Magnetic Platter

platter support

The real trick of course would to completely suspend the platter in all planes.
I remember years ago that some ingenious fellow suspended his platter in a pool of mercury. I can't imagine the benefit. The mercury would transmit and side motions and
possibly motor vibrations, wouldn't it?
This was reported around the late 50's. I never heard of it again.

Paul

Is it possible magnetic bearing for idler drive turntables? I have got Perpeteum Ebner 2020 turntables. I cleared all auto functions and tonearm. I fitted SME 3009 sound is good for me spending cheap cost. I am listening bearing with my ear come near. It's small noise. May i use magnetic push, any suggestions? Thanks and best regards.
Yildiray
(Sory , answer maybe include 25 page. )

Is it possible magnetic bearing for idler drive turntables? I have got Perpeteum Ebner 2020 turntables. I cleared all auto functions and tonearm. I fitted SME 3009 sound is good for me spending cheap cost. I am listening bearing with my ear come near. It's small noise. May i use magnetic push, any suggestions? Thanks and best regards.
Yildiray

Hi Yildiray: Of course is possible to put magnetic cushion:) in every turntable. I didn't know how much weight the platter of the yours. The rule number one is put away the magnetic field from the cartridge. I recently made this in a Micro Seiki RX1500 VF, but I made a special non magnetic steel axle that transfer this fields from the button to up. In the base of the axle I installed a neodymium magnet and another one in a cup of non magnetic but firmly in the base of the turntable. I could rise the weight of the platter from the original 3Kg to 25kg but after rebalanced it the final weight was 19Kg. The neodymium cylinders have 5cm of diameter for two of tall and the gap between the magnets is nearly 0,2mm. If you have a patient lathe operator that is your friend every operation is possible. Best Regards.

Perpetum Ebner

Yildiray

I previous post speak about Macon, is a ceramic plastic for make this kind of axle. I will investigate about Perpetum Ebner.
Best Regards

Hi Yildiray: I were watching the Perpetumm Ebner 2020, this is a record changer but if you prolongate the axle with a non magnetic material making a new support for the magnets is possible. Maybe this choice is a waste of technology because the tolerances of this device not justify the investment. The most important results of magnetic suspension is the noise. I the case of a heavy platter imagine, going to suspend in one sphere point and the molecules of the contact points can produce more friction and this gonna traduce in rumble noise. Maybe in your turntable with idle wheel adding to the unsynchronized motor that produce much more noise and rumble that the noise you pretend in avoid with the magnetic suspension. There are many good turntables without magnetic cushion that have unmeasurable noise.
Please is my point of view and you can do that you like.
Best and King Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.